Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
I love HomeKit but I am losing hours of my life configuring it. I have over a dozen devices, as an early adopter of the technology. Lutron lights and shades, iHome plugs, and Ecobee thermostats. I have three devices on the same iCloud account, which I can use to theoretically sync and control all the same devices.

I had my entire configuration erased due to a glitch when some of my devices were on iOS nine, and one was on iOS 8. That seemed to create an incompatibility when I used that device, my whole configuration was borked. I reset everything and did it all over again.

I got my new iPhone 6s Plus last Friday, and after restoring from backup it had my configuration and everything was fine. Now, I just turned on hey Siri on my iPhone 6s plus, and immediately my HomeKit configuration is all screwed up again!

Argh!

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
Well, I restored from a backup from last night. That returned my HomeKit configuration. Then when I turned on hey Siri, it did not make me do the set up again as it must have saved that on the server. Now my configuration is fine again. I don't know whether anyone else is having such fragile HomeKit issues.

striders

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
Just to share:

I have an ecobee3 HomeKit edition and the first time I set it up, everything works. But after I upgraded my 6 Plus to 6S Plus, I can no longer control the thermostat using Siri. So it's a HomeKit issue.

I reset HomeKit, uninstalled the apps and re-did everything. The problem is, the ecobee3 thermostat STILL think it is connected to HomeKit with the "old" HomeKit configuration. When I attempted to search for new device to add to HomeKit using ecobee3 own app (this is how Apple set it up - you must use the 3rd party app), the thermostat couldn't be found.

So yeah, HomeKit is really at its infancy and breaks a lot, just like iCloud Drive when it first came out. I.e. iCloud backup from 3rd party app is slow and error-prone (Google it), no "file-explorer" like app (iOS 9.0 now have it after more than 1 year), etc.

I am actually selling my ecobee3 and going back to Nest, which has been working for years with no problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.