Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ellenich

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2015
Now that the HomeKit stuff is starting to be released, I was wondering if anyone knew if you can actually control different HomeKit accessories from different manufacturers?

I'm pretty heavily invested into the Philips Hue system, but they don't offer a in-wall dimmer to control the lights. They have sort of a dumb hockey puck thing that you stick above your existing light switch, but that's not really ideal (doesn't look integrated).

Lutron announced a few HomeKit compatible dimmer switches, but I'm wondering if you can use those to control the Philips lights? I'm assuming that the dimmers would just make the lights behave like a normal switch, but part of the problem is currently the switch has to be turned to "on" for the Hue lights to react.

Thanks!

ellenich

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2015
You haven't heard of this then?

:D

This is certainly better looking than the puck thing, but still isn't 100% what I'm looking for. I want to replace (not add) my normal light switches with HomeKit compatible switches that control other HomeKit compatible devices.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
I just picked up some Lutron devices and it works very well on its own. Though the only devices it can control outside of Lutron is the Honeywell/Nest Thermostats.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.