Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclips77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
Hi forum,

I've been using Homekit for a while now and everything works fine. Now I tried to add my wife to 'my home'. She accepts the invitation, but then something strange occurs: she doesn't show up on my dashboard as a new user (and her invitation icon disappears), and her apple id e-mail address replaces mine when I check my name. I'm virtually kicked out of my own house. What should I do?

Thanks for your help, time is ticking away before my wife demands the old-fashioned light buttons again! Save my marriage :).

eclips77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
Wow that’s strange. Is Keychain on for both of your phones?
Thanks for the reply. First, her keychain wasn’t enabled but the problem persists after toggling it on. It’s possible to add my son’s iPhone, so maybe it’s because my wife’s iPhone is set as ‘a parent’? I checked the internet, it seems that more users have the same issue but I’ve not found a solution yet.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Thanks for the reply. First, her keychain wasn’t enabled but the problem persists after toggling it on. It’s possible to add my son’s iPhone, so maybe it’s because my wife’s iPhone is set as ‘a parent’? I checked the internet, it seems that more users have the same issue but I’ve not found a solution yet.
If not too much of a hassle, perhaps try logging out of and back into iCloud?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Ok cool. Good luck. Never heard of or seen this before and I added quite a few people to my HomeKit home.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I’ll try that today, keep you posted!
Also, before you do the iCloud thing, for kicks and giggles, try hard rebooting the phones. Volume up (release), volume down (release), press and hold power button till you see Apple logo on the screen. Seems to resolve a lot of issues.

eclips77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
Ok, I logged out of iCloud on both devices (and the iPad I use as a hub). It didn't help, same issue again. When she accepts, her icon on my home-dashboard disappears, her email-id appears under my name, and I cannot add anybody anymore. So it seems we're merged into one user at that time. As I said, it works flawless with my son's iPhone (SE2). I haven't reboot the phones (yet), that sounded like a bit too much fun :).

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Ok, I logged out of iCloud on both devices (and the iPad I use as a hub). It didn't help, same issue again. When she accepts, her icon on my home-dashboard disappears, her email-id appears under my name, and I cannot add anybody anymore. So it seems we're merged into one user at that time. As I said, it works flawless with my son's iPhone (SE2). I haven't reboot the phones (yet), that sounded like a bit too much fun :).
So I have to ask, which iPhones are you both using? I had issues with HomeKit when I signed into a 4S with my iCloud. An old iPad Air2 was also causing me some HomeKit issues. Nothing like what you’re experiencing but issues with accessories. Also, check all the settings on your wife’s phone that could affect HomeKit like location services, and match them up your son’s SE2.

Probably mentioning the obvious but you’s aren’t sharing an iCloud account, right?

eclips77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
I'm using 11pro, she's using an old SE. iPad is iPad pro. My daughter uses a 4S, works perfectly. Before we switched to separate accounts 3 years ago, I shared an iCloud account because I wanted to have a shared photo library. Maybe there are still some traces of that under the hood which causes this issue. Her phone is getting slow, so I think I'll have to wait until she buys a new one (next month), and try again. Or I send Tim Cook an angry letter, also an option. :cool:

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I'm using 11pro, she's using an old SE. iPad is iPad pro. My daughter uses a 4S, works perfectly. Before we switched to separate accounts 3 years ago, I shared an iCloud account because I wanted to have a shared photo library. Maybe there are still some traces of that under the hood which causes this issue. Her phone is getting slow, so I think I'll have to wait until she buys a new one (next month), and try again. Or I send Tim Cook an angry letter, also an option. :cool:
That previous shared iCloud account is raising my eyebrow. I’d probably go with the angry letter though lol.

PJWilkin

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
I have exactly the same issue
once the invite is sent, I loose control of the home as it replaces my iCloud address with the wife’s one

same issue if the invite is sent from a Mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.