Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cynics

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
So I have a fan in my living room that is tied to a switch. It doesn't have strings and its hardwired in. So turn the switch on turns the fan on full blast.

I want to get a fan controller that is tied into homekit so not only can I turn it on and off but I can change its speed. I see Hunter makes a HomeKit fan however I don't want to replace the fan, I just want a controller for use with my current fan.

I haven't come up with too much browsing the internet. Just suggestions of people trying to burn down their houses using dimmer switches.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
So I have a fan in my living room that is tied to a switch. It doesn't have strings and its hardwired in. So turn the switch on turns the fan on full blast.

I want to get a fan controller that is tied into homekit so not only can I turn it on and off but I can change its speed. I see Hunter makes a HomeKit fan however I don't want to replace the fan, I just want a controller for use with my current fan.

I haven't come up with too much browsing the internet. Just suggestions of people trying to burn down their houses using dimmer switches.

I don't think a HomeKit fan switch exists yet. AFAIK, the only option for a HomeKit compatible fan are the three Hunter models.

cynics

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
I don't think a HomeKit fan switch exists yet. AFAIK, the only option for a HomeKit compatible fan are the three Hunter models.

I was under the same impression based on my research. Thanks.

Admittedly I don't know much about fan controllers. It appears they can be a bit proprietary depending on the fans motor and how its multiple speeds function.

The ceiling fan is from Hampton Bay and its about 13 years old. I must have thrown out the remote and receiver somewhere along the way for reasons I don't know because it was shipped with them.

I guess my work around would be using a smart switch. However what I need to know is if a ceiling fan specifically Hampton Bay that uses this type of receiver retain its previous settings after a power cycle. If it did then I can just set it to where I like it and turn it on and off from the smart switch. If not it would be kind of useless.

Maybe someone with a remote controlled ceiling fan can let me know what happens when you ceiling the power too it.

jljue

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
Brandon, MS
For my fans, I use a combination of GE z-wave fan switch, ISY-994i, and Homebridge. If it sounds complicated, it is, since it was already part of my existing automation setup that I used HomeBridge to interface with HomeKit. I’m just hoping that I don’t have to continue this route when I build the next house in a year.

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009

Insteon makes a product that i'm using with Homekit. Their fan linc canopy mounted fan controllers, along with their home kit compatible "hub pro" work just fine. I've had very few issues with it since setup.

cynics

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
For my fans, I use a combination of GE z-wave fan switch, ISY-994i, and Homebridge. If it sounds complicated, it is, since it was already part of my existing automation setup that I used HomeBridge to interface with HomeKit. I’m just hoping that I don’t have to continue this route when I build the next house in a year.

Insteon makes a product that i'm using with Homekit. Their fan linc canopy mounted fan controllers, along with their home kit compatible "hub pro" work just fine. I've had very few issues with it since setup.

Thanks for the suggestion guys.

After finding out cycling the power doesn't "reset" a fan controller I just got universal fan control from Amazon and I'm going to use that in combination with a Leviton smart switch. Once set I'm not going to be adjusting the fan so I just wanted a "smart" way to turn it on and off.

Thanks again.

cynics

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
Thanks for the suggestion guys.

After finding out cycling the power doesn't "reset" a fan controller I just got universal fan control from Amazon and I'm going to use that in combination with a Leviton smart switch. Once set I'm not going to be adjusting the fan so I just wanted a "smart" way to turn it on and off.

Thanks again.

This worked just fine for anyone curious. I ended up cancelling the Amazon order and bought this from Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Universal-3-Speed-Ceiling-Fan-Remote-Control-68130/205846353

That is just a universal remote control + receiver. However I'm able to set the speed of the fan.

Used in combination with this...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKKRLNP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(or any smart SWITCH)

I'm able to turn it on and off via they Home app. When turned on it goes back to the previous setting of the remote.

While it would be nice to have a HomeKit controller to set the fans speed from via the Home app I'm not really that picky, I just didn't want it to be max speed.

cyberhomie

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2018
That is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. However since I have separate (fan lights and fan motor) switches anyway I do like the idea of using smart switches (like I did). However thank you very much for the link. Now I know for the future.

I use the Insteon Ceiling Fan Controller with the Hub Pro. The module allows for the fan and lights to be controlled independently. Works well. Unfortunately, Insteon doesn't seem to be expanding the Hub Pro's device support since I got it a couple years ago. The Hub Pro even seems to be buried on their site now.

Walia_Ak

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2017
I use the Insteon Ceiling Fan Controller with the Hub Pro. The module allows for the fan and lights to be controlled independently. Works well. Unfortunately, Insteon doesn't seem to be expanding the Hub Pro's device support since I got it a couple years ago. The Hub Pro even seems to be buried on their site now.

So does the fasn controller and the hub work with homekit
[doublepost=1522230471][/doublepost]As in appear in home app and work with siri of "turn my fan off" etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.