Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
I’ve used HomeKit (with AppleTV 4th Gen as home hub) since the beginning, with lots of compatible devices (mostly Lutron), and it has consistently worked really well. I just switched my router from an Apple Time Capsule to Netgear Orbi, and ever since I’ve been having trouble with the AppleTV doing the hub function consistently: Remote Access frequently doesn’t work, and neither do my Home app automations.

When I’m at home everything works ok when I control it through the Home app or the device manufacturer’s app (e.g. Lutron app, iDevices, etc). That is to say if I try to control a specific device through either app, it works ok.

When I’m away from home the Home app will usually (but not always) claim “No devices responding”, though I can control them through the third party app (e.g. Lutron), and under “Home Hubs” in the Home app it shows “AppleTV: Connected”.

My Home app automations are usually broken whether I’m at home or away. The usually don’t run. When I’m home they work ok if I tap “test this automation”, but they don’t run automatically on their own.

It seems that the problem is all about the AppleTV not working as the hub now. Everything worked great before I set up the new router. The AppleTV is connected ok (Wi-Fi/data) to the new router for streaming, etc. I have restarted it, signed out/in of iCloud, reconnected to the router, etc.

Anyone have any idea what might be wrong, or how I can get the AppleTV to consistently perform the hub function with the new router?

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
I’ve used HomeKit (with AppleTV 4th Gen as home hub) since the beginning, with lots of compatible devices (mostly Lutron), and it has consistently worked really well. I just switched my router from an Apple Time Capsule to Netgear Orbi, and ever since I’ve been having trouble with the AppleTV doing the hub function consistently: Remote Access frequently doesn’t work, and neither do my Home app automations.

When I’m at home everything works ok when I control it through the Home app or the device manufacturer’s app (e.g. Lutron app, iDevices, etc). That is to say if I try to control a specific device through either app, it works ok.

When I’m away from home the Home app will usually (but not always) claim “No devices responding”, though I can control them through the third party app (e.g. Lutron), and under “Home Hubs” in the Home app it shows “AppleTV: Connected”.

My Home app automations are usually broken whether I’m at home or away. The usually don’t run. When I’m home they work ok if I tap “test this automation”, but they don’t run automatically on their own.

It seems that the problem is all about the AppleTV not working as the hub now. Everything worked great before I set up the new router. The AppleTV is connected ok (Wi-Fi/data) to the new router for streaming, etc. I have restarted it, signed out/in of iCloud, reconnected to the router, etc.

Anyone have any idea what might be wrong, or how I can get the AppleTV to consistently perform the hub function with the new router?

There's an issue with Orbi and HomeKit. This article should help until they get a proper update out.
https://9to5mac.com/2018/05/08/netgear-orbi-homekit-error-no-response/

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Unfortunately this is the huge downside in Apple ceasing AirPort development.

And the fact that they were just good routers. While not feature packed with things like mesh networking, or the fastest on the market, its reliability has lapped any other (dozens) router I've ever used.

Combining 2.4 and 5ghz has not been a problem that I've experienced with other routers and all my devices stay on wifi ac if they have it. Plus since its on a UPS I've had uptime of over 6 months (last firmware update) without a single hiccup with 29 devices on it, no restarts or power cycles at all to fix the random wifi issue that I grew accustomed too. Never needed to forward any ports or make a static IP to place in DMZ or anything like that!

While not for everyone the AirPort Extreme was a god send for me.

Reactions: LiveM

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I find it's best when making a major change (such as a router) to do a network reset or "forget network" on all devices and then reconnect to the new network. It may do nothing, but it has worked well for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.