Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KevinSR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2024
Good morning all, happy to be here and looking for some input on indoor security cameras. I'm drawn to Homekit for security purposes but concerned about the how it might limit the functionality of the cameras. Two cameras would be the only Homekit enabled devices used.

I recently tried the Eufy E220 and they were good cameras. The app was adequate and I was able to view the living room and bedroom of my apartment as needed. However, I discovered that something about the way the camera formats the SDCard renders the card unreadable on my MacBook Air m1. Since I need to be able to view the videos on my computer and save them as needed this was a deal breaker. I was using a highly rated multi port adapter that is reading other external devices just fine. Apple Support said they couldn't help if I wasn't using an official Apple USB-C/SDCard adaptor.

This brought me to the possiblity of Homekit enabled cameras. Does anybody know what common features i would have to give up to use it? Like pan & tilt? If someone were to let themselves into my apartment when I'm not home I would want the camera to record their movements. Thanks much!

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I have the same camera, which can be added to HomeKit. I tried it, but prefer to use Eufy’s app. You do lose some features. HKSV only supports 1080p, so the resolution is downgraded. Cannot have activity zones. Cannot pan & tilt through the Home app, although the camera can still do the auto tracking feature (have to use the Eufy app if you want to move the camera yourself). If you don’t already, you will need an Apple TV or HomePod and an iCloud+ subscription in order to use HKSV.

The app was adequate and I was able to view the living room and bedroom of my apartment as needed. However, I discovered that something about the way the camera formats the SDCard renders the card unreadable on my MacBook Air m1. Since I need to be able to view the videos on my computer and save them as needed this was a deal breaker.
Since you have an Apple Silicon Mac, you could have downloaded Eufy’s iPad app to the Mac in order to view the videos and save them. That is what I do when I want to check in on my cameras from my Mac. You can also go to https://mysecurity.eufylife.com to view the cameras over the web.

KevinSR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2024
I have the same camera, which can be added to HomeKit. I tried it, but prefer to use Eufy’s app. You do lose some features. HKSV only supports 1080p, so the resolution is downgraded. Cannot have activity zones. Cannot pan & tilt through the Home app, although the camera can still do the auto tracking feature (have to use the Eufy app if you want to move the camera yourself). If you don’t already, you will need an Apple TV or HomePod and an iCloud+ subscription in order to use HKSV.

Since you have an Apple Silicon Mac, you could have downloaded Eufy’s iPad app to the Mac in order to view the videos and save them. That is what I do when I want to check in on my cameras from my Mac. You can also go to https://mysecurity.eufylife.com to view the cameras over the web.
Very helpful. Thanks so much.

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
FWIW I like the Vocolinc Homekit cameras. Pretty cheap, reliable, good picture quality.

I have also used some older Onvis cameras I got cheap, work fine. No issues at all.

Same for the Aqara cameras, I dont use the hub functionality but the cameras work well in homekit too.

If I were you I would look for homekit only cameras. I dont trust Eufy one bit, you can do some googling and find out they arent the most trusted cloud camera provider and have been caught in lies about their security and where your video goes/who has access. Keep all the business in iCloud.

Dont install or signup for an account via the manufacturer app if you can avoid it, especially with Eufy! (of course for some eufy cameras to switch to homekit mode, they force you to! bad.)

Melmanoh

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2020
FWIW I like the Vocolinc Homekit cameras. Pretty cheap, reliable, good picture quality.

I have also used some older Onvis cameras I got cheap, work fine. No issues at all.

Same for the Aqara cameras, I dont use the hub functionality but the cameras work well in homekit too.

If I were you I would look for homekit only cameras. I dont trust Eufy one bit, you can do some googling and find out they arent the most trusted cloud camera provider and have been caught in lies about their security and where your video goes/who has access. Keep all the business in iCloud.

Dont install or signup for an account via the manufacturer app if you can avoid it, especially with Eufy! (of course for some eufy cameras to switch to homekit mode, they force you to! bad.)
I agree with this statement I got a Eufy Cam 2k and I never even downloaded the Eufy app I set everything up thru the home app so far so good. I know I won't get the latest features from Eufy but I trust apple HKSV more.

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
I agree with this statement I got a Eufy Cam 2k and I never even downloaded the Eufy app I set everything up thru the home app so far so good. I know I won't get the latest features from Eufy but I trust apple HKSV more.
You got lucky the early gen Eufy 2k requires an app and account to enable homekit, as they dont have a QR code. If your 2k had the Homekit QR then you are good.

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
Which Eufy cam did you get, and where did you buy it? I bought the two pack of the C120 cameras from Amazon and the cameras I got had a generic QR code on them and not a HomeKit code, so I had to download the Eufy app, and then turn on HomeKit in it to use them. I like them, but sent them back because if this.

Right now I've got the Ecobee Smart Camera and I'm not real happy with it. It keeps dropping out of HKSV so I don't get any recordings or notifications, but if I open the Home app it is streaming just fine. I've also found the night vision to be worthless in my garage. It shows the shelf it is sitting on and nothing else. The Eufy C120 night vision worked great.

I've got the Aqara G3 on order but haven't tried it yet.

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
I've got an update on my search for HKSV cameras if anyone cares.

I ended up returning the Ecobee Smart Camera, and tried the Aqara G3. The Aqara had the same issue of dropping in and out, and I was not happy with the field of view. I will say that the night vision was better than the Ecobee. The Aqara is going to be headed back to Amazon this week.

I picked up a Tapo C125 on sale at Best Buy last week. So far I think this one may be the winner. It does note require you to use the Tapo app at all, it is added directly from the Home app. The night vision is among the best I've tried, the magnetic mounting is very useful, and the field of view is among the best I've had so far. It has been up and running since Friday and I have only had one notification about it going offline, and I believe my internet service went out entirely at that time since I didn't have access to anything in HomeKit when I checked the Home app after seeing the notification. If it keeps up like this I will likely buy a couple more for other locations.

I am still looking into a doorbell and/or outdoor cameras but haven't tried anything yet. I am open for suggestions if anyone has them.

Reactions: dotme

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I've got an update on my search for HKSV cameras if anyone cares.

I ended up returning the Ecobee Smart Camera, and tried the Aqara G3. The Aqara had the same issue of dropping in and out, and I was not happy with the field of view. I will say that the night vision was better than the Ecobee. The Aqara is going to be headed back to Amazon this week.

I picked up a Tapo C125 on sale at Best Buy last week. So far I think this one may be the winner. It does note require you to use the Tapo app at all, it is added directly from the Home app. The night vision is among the best I've tried, the magnetic mounting is very useful, and the field of view is among the best I've had so far. It has been up and running since Friday and I have only had one notification about it going offline, and I believe my internet service went out entirely at that time since I didn't have access to anything in HomeKit when I checked the Home app after seeing the notification. If it keeps up like this I will likely buy a couple more for other locations.

I am still looking into a doorbell and/or outdoor cameras but haven't tried anything yet. I am open for suggestions if anyone has them.
As far as outdoor cameras, there aren’t many options for HomeKit. Eufy, Logitech and the Eve flood light camera. I’ve used the Logitech Circle 2 (previous version) and they worked great. Plus they have a very wide FOV, vertically and horizontally so you get more coverage with less cameras. The Logitechs had a bad rep for dropping connection and this was true before I got a good mesh WiFi system with a wired backhaul.

As far as doorbells go, I’ve pretty much tried them and I’ve settled with the Aqara G4. It’s been rock solid for me. Feature rich and has a battery backup if hardwired or can be used completely wirelessly with AA’s. Also accepts SD card 24/7 recording in the Aqara app in case HomeKit misses something. This one has a very wide horizontal field of view which works for me because my house is wide. Vertical field of view is not that great though so you may miss packages on your doorstep. It’s also on the bulky side but fits the trim around my door perfectly flush.

Another one I can recommend is using the Google Nest with a Starling Hub. The Starling supports HKSV but you need a Nest Aware subscription for that. You do get 24/7 recording in the Nest app with the subscription too.

I absolutely loved the FOV on the Wemo doorbell. I can just about see the threshold of my door, the soffit above my door, my porch lights and everything on the front of my property. I could swear I was seeing a part of my house behind the camera lol. The only problem is, everything else sucked. Constant drops and night vision may as well have been called no vision. Wemo has a reputation for putting out bad HomeKit products but their mini smart plugs have been good to me.

The Logitech doorbell FOV was way too narrow for my property but it was good vertically.

It all depends on how the front of property is and what you want the camera to see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.