Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
So I'm builing a brand new house, but I dont get home automation at all.. I like the idea of it, but I cant think of anything I would actually use:

1. I never change my thermostat.. since I have a stay at home wife, and kids..so there is always somebody home, so the thermostat can always stay at 72 or so.. I havent touched it in years...

2. Again, I dont need to have lights or lamps turn on and off at a certain time or anything when I get home..

3. I dontwant crazy color changing lights...

4. I dont need cameras or an alarm..or door locks... I will always use teh garage, and my car automatically opens the door when it gets within ~100ft...

5. Outdoor lights seems interesting, but I have them in my current home, and they are on a timer already, and it seems to be less expensive

I really want to be convinced, anything I am missing? Any great ideas out there?

sam2428

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Houston, TX
I just built and moved into my new house (new construction as well) about a year ago and had the same thoughts. I never used Siri and quite frankly didn’t see the point because you can just as easily still use the “dumb” components just fine.

When it comes to building your house, I don’t think you should really worry too much about home automation specially since you aren’t even sold on the idea. Many, if not all, of these smart home devices can be retrofitted later. I would rather spend the time to configure the house the way you want it and will intend to use it over time. I.e. we have a media room which I had pre-wired for my sound system in the exact locations i wanted and had an HDMI cable pulled to where I anticipated mounting my projector.

With that said, I just recently installed a smart lock on my front door to try out HomeKit and see how i like it. It is pretty cool I must say...and Siri is quite responsive for locking and unlocking the door.

I am also now looking at a smart thermostat - Ecobee 3 in particular with the remote sensors. We keep our thermostat at the same temperature all the time, but the remote sensors in the rooms can really help if you have a particular room that stays warmer or colder than the rest. The thermostat can then read that one sensor and adjust accordingly. Or you can have the unit take an average of all the sensors and adjust the temp to maintain your setting temperature. So there are definitely uses aside from remote access. Also, check with your electric company..many provide rebates for installing these devices because they help conserve and use energy more efficiently. So that helps to pay for the setup.

At the end of the day, I think I am coming around to having smart devices in the house and will slowly add more. I think where they really shine is with the automation part. Having certain things automatically happen as you arrive home or leave home, go on vacation, etc. It’s more a convenience luxury than a must have but is pretty fun to use either way.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
I think it's probably more about future proofing than anything. For example, running some CAT6 through the house isn't a bad idea now as it's certainly a lot easier than after it is built.

Remember, technology is moving at such a pace that in 10 years the landscape for home automation will be a lot different. This is very much still the early stages.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
My suggestion would be that if you decide to run Ethernet, HDMI, etc. through walls, use conduit for easy upgrades down the road. As far as home automation goes, it sounds like you don't really want it and it's just a case of FOMO. I will say I love my home automation gear. Thermostat changes when we come and go, lights come on upon arrival, etc.

sam2428

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Houston, TX
I think it's probably more about future proofing than anything. For example, running some CAT6 through the house isn't a bad idea now as it's certainly a lot easier than after it is built.

Remember, technology is moving at such a pace that in 10 years the landscape for home automation will be a lot different. This is very much still the early stages.

One other thing I just thought of: I am also looking to install some smart security cameras on the exterior of my home. I think Ring makes some good ones (flood light camera or even their spot light cameras). Ring makes both battery operated or wired cameras...so having wires pulled to locations you anticipate potentially putting home security cameras in the future would be nice and much easier to do now than later. To make the install easier, I am considering the battery options because I dont want to pull wire now...however there is a long term inconvenience with those as batteries need to be changed every 6 months from what they claim.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I use smart switches on my lamps, because I have seven different lamps in my living room alone, so being able to turn them all off and on with a single press is nice (and programming them, if need be.) Of course, mine aren't
Homekit compatible, so I'm debating whether I upgrade them so I can perform the functions with Siri.

I already have a numerical keypad for my front door, so I don't have to bring a home key with me, and I've been considering a smart connected version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.