Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grayfox691

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
This is more of a theoretical discussion. I've got a few homekit light switches used inside the house and they've all been wired as one would expect.

I'm currently drawing up some plans to run additional outlets and power some string lights in the backyard. I'll have to use conduit to run all the wires and suddenly the question popped into my head... "do I actually need to run all the wiring back and forth for this light switch?" So it got me wondering if one could wire up a HomeKit only to give it power. Then use Homekit automations to have it then turn on or off some disassociated homekit light?

I understand it adds some complexity and additional failure points. But, as I said this is mostly a therapeutical question but I'm curious if anyone has done something like that and if so, how it went for them.

Cheers!

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Do you plan on using an outdoor smart plug of sorts or smart bulbs in the string lights? Either way, you really don’t need a switch. Matter of fact, you can get a battery operated remote switch like the Philips Hue dimmer or WeMo Stage Scene controller to work as the wall switch. Or you can just have to run via automations like you describe.

I haven’t done it yet, but I’m having my GC’s install some side lighting for my garage doors. Told them not to even bother running a powered switch because I’m putting Philips Hue lights there and gonna be running them via automations. Just need power to the light fixtures.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.