Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juraj Pis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2020
I have been experiencing sudden battery and data drain on my iPhone X and when I looked at the consumption I see that homekit is hungry data app. Has anyone else experienced this behavior? I resetted stats two days ago and homekit used 1.8GB of data since then!

Attachments

• 205F67A8-89D9-40D6-9CD8-9C9D3D5F657A.jpeg
    205F67A8-89D9-40D6-9CD8-9C9D3D5F657A.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 264
  • FD03DB58-A1C0-4A3E-8E24-6C265E4F7345.jpeg
    FD03DB58-A1C0-4A3E-8E24-6C265E4F7345.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 171
Reactions: tommyboy21

tommyboy21

macrumors member
May 22, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I've been having the same issue with my iPhone 11. Battery draining SUPER fast. And then I got the notification that we've used up 90% of our data in about a week. Today I was out with most of my cellular data turned off because I'm almost out of data now and it used almost 1GB in about 90 minutes without me interacting with the phone/using it for anything. I've turned off cellular data entirely. There is another thread on Apple's website (see link below) and I've reached out to Apple Support. I'm hoping more people will reach out if they've had this issue!! And hopefully provide a fix?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251916674

Juraj Pis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2020
I have tried network reset, removed all apps which use hmekit, but data consumption does not stop. This is really annoying. I am getting new iPhone 12 Pro tomorrow and I am thinking about setting it up as brand new device to see, whether this solves the issues than to restore it from old iPhone or from backup...

Juraj Pis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2020
SOLVED. I resetted all homekit hubs (apple TVs and iPads in my case) and it did the trick. No iPhone reset is necessary.

Juraj Pis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2020
Go to Apple TV settings and reset it with download of the new TVOS. Not just update but full reset and let it restore from backup then. Same for iPad and HomePod if you have those.

AmazingMuttonChop

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2021
Los Angeles
I have been experiencing sudden battery and data drain on my iPhone X and when I looked at the consumption I see that homekit is hungry data app. Has anyone else experienced this behavior? I resetted stats two days ago and homekit used 1.8GB of data since then!
I had this issue too. It only started happening after I switched on Settings > Cellular > Wifi Calling (not Wifi Assist).

I noticed my data usage was high and was alarmed to see under Settings > Cellular > System Services that HomeKit had chewed through 2.9GB of cellular data in just 4 days!

It seemed odd that that would be the culprit, but since I hadn't fiddled with any other wifi/cellular settings recently, I switched Wifi Calling off -- and only that, because I wanted to isolate the problem. It's been 3 days now and HomeKit data usage hasn't budged.

For me, this has solved the problem -- bizarrely.

I'm on an iPhone 12 running iOS 14.4, connected to AT&T.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.