Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
I know when I wake up and see 30+ devices not responding, I need to check which item is the hub. If it's a Mini or OG HomePod, that explains the issue. Restart them until my ATV+Thread kicks back in. All problems resolved after that.

Why can't we pick our own hub????

Reactions: Itinj24 and TonyC28

Bl0ckHe1d

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2009
Caledonia
Yeah I had a long back and forth with someone in the thread posted above about this.

Apparently it’s your network 🙄
Interesting thread on that link.

Received an interesting feedback from Eve on their Matter enabled device, apparently Eve techies are having the same issue where Thread (or Matter) enabled devices losses connections from the Thread routers and are currently liaising with Apple for a resolution.

However per the thread, I have binded the HomePod Mac and IP address at the router level and connectivity to the Matter enabled device are relevantly stable with little at least one reset a week compared to having to reset these Matter devices on an hourly / daily basis!

I think it is going in the right direction...if Carlsberg do HomeKit!
SCR-20230317-cvt.png
SCR-20230317-d03.png

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
Yeah I had a long back and forth with someone in the thread posted above about this.

Apparently it’s your network 🙄

We patiently wait for that helpful individual to come back to tell us exactly what network settings need to be looked into.

• Haha
Reactions: Itinj24

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
This is one of those things that convinces me that none of the Apple engineers actually use HomeKit in their own home. If they did they would see how stupid this and we'd have the option to set a hub.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
We patiently wait for that helpful individual to come back to tell us exactly what network settings need to be looked into.
I think that was the only person I’ve come across, in every thread I’ve read about this issue that is so vehemently opposed to having this option. I just don’t get it. If they presented me with an “ahhhh” moment, maybe I’d see it their way but the most we got is that we have to “fix” our networks. I knew I should’ve accepted that full ride scholarship to MIT lol.

Reactions: StumpyBloke

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
This is one of those things that convinces me that none of the Apple engineers actually use HomeKit in their own home. If they did they would see how stupid this and we'd have the option to set a hub.
Or maybe the fine minds at Apple know exactly what this secret sauce network setting is to get this shhstuff to work lol.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I think that was the only person I’ve come across, in every thread I’ve read about this issue that is so vehemently opposed to having this option. I just don’t get it. If they presented me with an “ahhhh” moment, maybe I’d see it their way but the most we got is that we have to “fix” our networks. I knew I should’ve accepted that full ride scholarship to MIT lol.
Key word: option. We aren’t asking for Apple to choose a hub and never let us change it. Just give us the damn option.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Key word: option. We aren’t asking for Apple to choose a hub and never let us change it. Just give us the damn option.
Correct! I purposely chose that wording. Leave an automatic switching mode for those that don’t care to fiddle.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
Correct! I purposely chose that wording. Leave an automatic switching mode for those that don’t care to fiddle.

I think you're completely unreasonable to correlate all of these HomeKit and Home hub issues to Apple's software updates. Obviously, that's a mere coincidence. Just fix your broken network so everything can be allowed to work perfectly!

Once you figure that out, kindly let the rest of us know.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Itinj24 and TonyC28

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I am especially enjoying the false “no response” from my HomePods even though they actually do respond. Dammit eero!!

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
Yeah, but. We say select our own hub but what we really mean is select something other than a HomePod. And Apple isn’t going to admit that their primary HomeKit device can’t actually do HomeKit.

Davidglenn

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
While I am sure it is not the network causing the issue with 3 Apple TVs one works best as the hub and it is not even the newest Apple TV. How many people with mesh systems are having problems? I have 8 Homepod mini with 6 as stereo and 4 set up as to the Apple TV to work as in stereo. There is only one is a stereo with no Apple TV and that is the one I have the most problems with. If those are the hub virtually nothing works in Homekit. Also no matter how many times I remove them and reinstall them quite often they are offline yet seem to work well. When I look at the Linksys app sometimes one of the Homepod is connected to one router and the other one is connected to another router even though they are all in the same room. All are the same mesh network but different routers.

If the newest Apple TV is the hub about 2-4 lights etc go offline. So one Apple TV is the best but the Homepod minis are the worse if they are hubs. So agree I want to be able to choose the hub I want so I don't have to check when things don't work. Then switch off hubs to get the one that works the best as the hub. Though there does seem to be a network issue with mesh systems

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
My HomeKit hub also seems to always end up being the furthest away AppleTV, on wifi, out in a separate guest house, vs the wired ones in the main house. I’ve been assuming that’s because we rarely use it, and so rarely update it. That is, when we update the ones we use, they go offline and the hub switches to the outside one and then never switches back. It works though so for us it’s just weird but whatever.

But I suppose in Apple’s theology, they probably believe in Everything Wireless and so push the hub to the outer rim just to punish us unbelievers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.