Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingBowser64

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
Chicago, IL
I have an iPhone 6S Plus and have had all of the iOS 9.3 betas and installed the iOS 9.3 that was released today. I have a house that consists of 6 members (including me, which I am the main user), 25 Philips Hue Lights, a Honeywell Lyric Round Thermostat, 3 First Alert Smoke/CO sensors, and an Elgato Eve device. Of the 6 people in my HomeKit house:
Me: iPhone 6S Plus (iOS 9.3), iPad Air 2 (iOS 9.3), iPad Mini 4 (iOS 9.3)
My Mom: iPhone 6S Plus (iOS 9.3)
My Dad: iPhone 6 Plus (iOS 9.3)
My Brother: iPhone 6 Plus (iOS 9.3), iPad Air 2 (iOS 9.3)
My Brother: iPhone 6 Plus (iOS 9.3), iPad 4 (iOS 9.3)
My Brother: iPad Air 2 (iOS 9.3)

Everyone was able to properly access my HomeKit home up until about Friday or Saturday night. My Mom is now the only person that is unable to access the HomeKit house. I cancelled her as a person in the house and resent her the request. That fixed the issue, but only temporarily until Monday. Earlier yesterday (Monday, March 21), my Mom informed me that from her Eve app, she no longer had access once again. I once again removed her as a user in the house and sent her an invitation. She said she accepted the new invitation, but my phone informed me that it was still waiting for confirmation from my Mom to accept. I waited about 20 minutes, but it still said she needed to accept it. From my Mom's phone, it showed that she had her own HomeKit house that needed to add its first accessory to and also and had an invitation from me to join my HomeKit house. Hours later, nothing has changed. She is the only person that does not have access to the HomeKit house.

I then tried this: I removed her as a user once again, then I had her reset her HomeKit configuration, I waited 5 minutes, and then I added her again and she accepted the invitation, but again, it did not work.

Has anyone else experienced any issues like this with HomeKit? Or have any ideas to fix it? We love HomeKit and I realize it is still new technology, but this had not been an issue until a few days ago.

Sadly, I am away at IU and will not be home until May, so I cannot reset my HomeKit configuration because then we would have to setup the devices again and I am not home to do that.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I just got an ecobee today, my first HomeKit device, so I can't say what it was like pre-9.3, but I had the same issue trying to add my girlfriend to my home. I set up my home in the ecobee app and later on tried to share HomeKit access with her, but it still said invite sent on my phone, even though she accepted. The only thing that fixed the issue was deleting my home and resetting my HomeKit configuration. After creating a home in the ecobee app I invited my girlfriend before making any changes to my home and that did the trick.

ajforbes20

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
USA
This really makes me second guess smart home products! If I'm going to have to reconfigure things everytime apple releases and update! I have an ecobee right now and seems fine. But scary to think about getting more devices and having more issues

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
I have the home app and some Incipio outlets and while they usually work on the triggers schedule i have set sometimes they just don't. for example i have it to turn the lights on every day at 7pm and sometimes they just don't turn on. I am not sure do I need the Home app to be always running on my iPad Mini or will it still trigger devices if not running in the background? This could be the issue? What I don't understand is why my laptop doesn't control the devices instead of my iPad since that is always online and at home guaranteed while my ipad goes out of the house with me sometime.

Homekit really needs a OSX app (service/daemon) that does all the triggering so I can take my iDevices with me and still have it follow schedule. I also don't understand why you should need an Apple TV if you have a laptop connected to your network. It is all rather confusing. Had I designed HomeKit it would work quite differently and there would certainly be a service built directly into OSX for it. In any case there certainly would be an official HomeKit app across all iOS devices to manage it written by Apple and not leaving it up to everyone and their uncle to design their own apps to control just their devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.