Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
NY
Hopefully this will save a lot of headaches for people.

I have two homes in homekit, one for home and one for office devices. I dont have a home hub in my home, but have a HomePod set as a home hub in my office.

I have a level bolt lock at home that works fine with homekit, and got the level lock + at the office. Been dealing with level and apple homekit support for weeks trying to figure out why homekit will refuse to operate the lock (even though its connected to it and will get notifications of manual opening or opening through level app (swapped out lock, HomePod, diagnostics reports to Apple to no avail).

Also tried upgrading the homekit to the new architecture since Apple engineers thought this would fix the issue. No, dice as architecture would refuse to update since one home didn't include a home hub.

So finally I was like screw the multiple home thing and just deleted my office "home" and re-added all devices to one "home"

After two weeks of trouble shooting turns out this was the issue. For some reason the secondary home was screwing up homekit so any devices added to the second home would not operate.

Now everything works fine, and just have the devices split under "rooms" in a single home.

So if you want to save yourself homkit headaches do NOT add multiple homes until they fix this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.