Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Medictrode

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
Hello all,,

So I decided to try to extend my home automation and figured Homekit was the best first option. I didn't like the hub idea at first so I decided to try the Leviton R01-DH15S-1RZ switch from home depot. Setup was mostly easy, took multiple tries for it to "stick" however.

When it works it's pretty cool, but there is considerable downtime noted, especially on the Siri end.. The other issue I noticed is even though I have 3 wireless access points between my house and garage and they are all on the same subnet. The switch was setup on the closest access point upstairs of my house however it will only operate if my phone is connected to that same AP. If I connect to any other I can't get the switch to work..

I also setup my ATV3 as a hub, followed tons of instructions in doing so. I realize the 4 does automation, however I just needed my back yard spot lights to turn on when I am not home, and from my phone. The app says the ATV3 is in "Standby" however I cannot access my switch from anywhere except at home, and on that exact AP.

Is the Leviton just a piece of junk? Is homekit a piece of junk? Or did I not set something up correctly?..

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Hello all,,

So I decided to try to extend my home automation and figured Homekit was the best first option. I didn't like the hub idea at first so I decided to try the Leviton R01-DH15S-1RZ switch from home depot. Setup was mostly easy, took multiple tries for it to "stick" however.

When it works it's pretty cool, but there is considerable downtime noted, especially on the Siri end.. The other issue I noticed is even though I have 3 wireless access points between my house and garage and they are all on the same subnet. The switch was setup on the closest access point upstairs of my house however it will only operate if my phone is connected to that same AP. If I connect to any other I can't get the switch to work..

I also setup my ATV3 as a hub, followed tons of instructions in doing so. I realize the 4 does automation, however I just needed my back yard spot lights to turn on when I am not home, and from my phone. The app says the ATV3 is in "Standby" however I cannot access my switch from anywhere except at home, and on that exact AP.

Is the Leviton just a piece of junk? Is homekit a piece of junk? Or did I not set something up correctly?..

Do you have two-factor authentication on and is your iOS software up to date? It’s possible ATV 3 may not allow remote access anymore because of the HomeKit vulnerability that was patched recently for the ATV 4 and 4K.

Medictrode

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
I do indeed have the 2 factor going and all iOS is up to date... And I am not sure, it does sound quite possible and I will investigate that further.. Thank you .

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

I have a similar experience:
  • Home app works on Wi-Fi network
  • Home app doesn't work over LTE or any other network because the Apple TV is "not available"
  • Yet the Lutron app (controlling the exact same light switches) works just fine over LTE or any other network
Lutron has its own hub, so I believe that the Apple TV as a hub is the problem with the Home app.

In fact I'm certain the problem is with the Apple TV as a hub because the fix for me is to log out of iCloud on the ATV and log back in. Unfortunately the fix is temporary and the problem will reappear randomly days or weeks later. Frustrating.

I've been thinking about adding some Leviton switches too, but they don't have a hub and so would have to use the rather unreliable AppleTV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.