Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CPTmom2wp

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2014
Ohio
Is the LIFX mini smaller than the Phillips Hue A19? I thought they were a similar size. The A19 LIFX bulbs on the other hand are much larger.
LIFX mini: 60 x 60 x 105 (mm)
Philips Hue: 62 x 62 x 110 (mm)

Bulb diameter is 2mm smaller, and the length is 5mm shorter. I’m not sure if that’s sufficient enough difference to switch from one to another.

I just looked up the dimensions, as well. The photo is a bit misleading and the smaller size I was anticipating is apparently not much different. Oh well, I was wanting to compare the LIFX to the Philips anyway. They are supposed to be here next Monday, so will see if they do fit in the smaller lamps or if I'll just have to wait for someone to make a smaller bulb.

happyprozak

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
The picture definitely leaves one with the impression that the bulb is smaller. I think it’s just the shape that gives that impression.

I can tell you that the LIFX mini is about as bright as the Phillips Hue A19.

I’m trying to decide between LIFX and Hues and it’s a tough choice. They both have short comings and they each have something to offer that the other doesn’t.

LIFX hardware is heavier but feels higher quality. The old Hues bulbs were metal and glass and felt very high quality. The ones had the glass replaced with plastic and they feel cheap now. Of course the lighter weight is a positive in a lamp with a neck that is adjustable and once the bulb is in its socket you won’t be able to tell the bulb is cheap.

LIFX A19 and BR30 bulbs are significantly brighter than the Hues equivalents but to my eyes the Hue has a nicer graduation of white colors with the caveat that the old LIFX 800 white bulbs clearly lead the pack in the quality of the normal white range of colors. It’s a shame that bulb is not made anymore.

I can’t decide which app is better. The LIFX app has a nicer UI and design but the Hues app is better in usability for me. It’s clearly a personal preference so this category is a toss up.

My old LIFX white 800 bulbs buzz when they are dimmed. They are not on a dimmer so it’s clearly the bulb. I’ve read complaints that the LIFX Z strips buzz as well. I’ve heard no complaints about Hues bulbs but the new BR30 and A19 bulbs do not buzz so it seems LIFX figured out the issue.

On the topic of connectivity there seem to be less complaints about the Hue bulbs losing connections than the LIFX bulbs although LIFX bulbs have made big improvements. The Hues bridge is both a positive and a con. A con because you have another device to connect to your router and to buy, a pro because it makes the lights more reliable and there’s less WiFi congestion on your network since only the bridge connects to your router as opposed to each bulb.

On support, Hues clearly is the leader with more accessories being available and more partnerships being in place to further expand the Hues ecosystem. LIFX is slowly expanding their own offerings and partnerships though. I do like that Hues offers normal style light switches and separate remotes so you don’t have to use your phone to turn on and off the lights so a plus in the everyday usability for Hues.

Tough choices... hahaha

Volusia

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2016
Central Florida
So far we have replaced two switches with Lutron dimmers. Been very satisfied with both of them. Didn't think the color changes would be all that interesting in the long run and liked the idea of using almost any type of bulb.

Our next project will be changing out a four gang box of switches that control the outside lights. That may be delayed somewhat, considering a HomePod before moving forward with more switches...

CPTmom2wp

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2014
Ohio
The picture definitely leaves one with the impression that the bulb is smaller. I think it’s just the shape that gives that impression.

I can tell you that the LIFX mini is about as bright as the Phillips Hue A19.

I’m trying to decide between LIFX and Hues and it’s a tough choice. They both have short comings and they each have something to offer that the other doesn’t.

LIFX hardware is heavier but feels higher quality. The old Hues bulbs were metal and glass and felt very high quality. The ones had the glass replaced with plastic and they feel cheap now. Of course the lighter weight is a positive in a lamp with a neck that is adjustable and once the bulb is in its socket you won’t be able to tell the bulb is cheap.

LIFX A19 and BR30 bulbs are significantly brighter than the Hues equivalents but to my eyes the Hue has a nicer graduation of white colors with the caveat that the old LIFX 800 white bulbs clearly lead the pack in the quality of the normal white range of colors. It’s a shame that bulb is not made anymore.

I can’t decide which app is better. The LIFX app has a nicer UI and design but the Hues app is better in usability for me. It’s clearly a personal preference so this category is a toss up.

My old LIFX white 800 bulbs buzz when they are dimmed. They are not on a dimmer so it’s clearly the bulb. I’ve read complaints that the LIFX Z strips buzz as well. I’ve heard no complaints about Hues bulbs but the new BR30 and A19 bulbs do not buzz so it seems LIFX figured out the issue.

On the topic of connectivity there seem to be less complaints about the Hue bulbs losing connections than the LIFX bulbs although LIFX bulbs have made big improvements. The Hues bridge is both a positive and a con. A con because you have another device to connect to your router and to buy, a pro because it makes the lights more reliable and there’s less WiFi congestion on your network since only the bridge connects to your router as opposed to each bulb.

On support, Hues clearly is the leader with more accessories being available and more partnerships being in place to further expand the Hues ecosystem. LIFX is slowly expanding their own offerings and partnerships though. I do like that Hues offers normal style light switches and separate remotes so you don’t have to use your phone to turn on and off the lights so a plus in the everyday usability for Hues.

Tough choices... hahaha

Definitely a "first world" problem ;) but I, for one, enjoy these bulbs and look forward to the day I will have a complete house full of them.

Thank you for the heads up on the size. I received my order today, and while the shape is different, hence the appearance of being smaller??, they are not appreciably different. I'll have to wait for either an appliance size bulb or maybe a bullet shaped bulb that fits a standard size socket.

I have stayed with Philips Hue for the simple reason that they seem to be serious about the technology, have a great range of whites (Ambiance), have been expanding their range of bulb sizes and shapes, and are likely to be around for years. So many companies enter the ecosystem with one or two offerings and then do not keep up with the changes, are glitchy, or end up out of business after a few years. It sounds like LIFX is a legit alternative. I'm looking forward to seeing how they fit in my world with one on each end of the couch for direct comparison of brightness, color, and connectivity.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
I would like to use switches, but most of our switches control fans too. So, seems like a no go.

So far we have replaced two switches with Lutron dimmers. Been very satisfied with both of them. Didn't think the color changes would be all that interesting in the long run and liked the idea of using almost any type of bulb.

Our next project will be changing out a four gang box of switches that control the outside lights. That may be delayed somewhat, considering a HomePod before moving forward with more switches...

happyprozak

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
Haha yeah, first world problems. Philips Hues is definitely the leader. The big plus on the LIFX side is the brightness but that’ll really depend on whether the extra brightness matters to you or the room you’ll be placing them in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.