Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schmidt65

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Hoping someone can help me with this as Apple doesn’t make it clear.

Under notifications for an accessory in the Home app there is a location and time setting, however it isn’t clear if you set both of these to on whether it sets it to and / or?

For example I want to set my porch motion sensor to notify me if I am not at the house, or to notify me always between 7pm and 6am if there is any motion (when I am at home).

What I don’t want it to do is only notify me if I am away from the house AND it is between 7pm and 6am, otherwise I won’t get motion sensor alerts in the evening if I am at home.

Screenshot attached to show the screen I mean.

Anyone able to help? Thanks!

Attachments

• E8A6C50E-355A-4C3A-A6C5-6574FBD1D21C.png
    E8A6C50E-355A-4C3A-A6C5-6574FBD1D21C.png
    340.2 KB · Views: 392

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Sorry, didn't see your thread during the holidays. It's fairly clear to interpret it as an "and" condition because if it was "or" condition, when you set the time variable to be "any time", it would just ignore the people variable.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Hoping someone can help me with this as Apple doesn’t make it clear.

Under notifications for an accessory in the Home app there is a location and time setting, however it isn’t clear if you set both of these to on whether it sets it to and / or?

For example I want to set my porch motion sensor to notify me if I am not at the house, or to notify me always between 7pm and 6am if there is any motion (when I am at home).

What I don’t want it to do is only notify me if I am away from the house AND it is between 7pm and 6am, otherwise I won’t get motion sensor alerts in the evening if I am at home.

Screenshot attached to show the screen I mean.

Anyone able to help? Thanks!
The way you have it set in your example it will only notify you between the hours you set and only when everyone is away. Everyone is whoever you have added to Home App.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Like mentioned its "and". Those are the rules set and both need to be met for you to receive a notification.

This is something you clearly don't want. But there is a solution...I think. However you need to know there is a potential conflict with the way you want it. You will get nuisance notifications between 7pm and 6am if your motion is detected. If you are ok with that then try this.

Set two automations.

Automation 1:
Detects motion
7:00pm to 6:00am
People - off

This will send you a notification when motion is detected between those hours regardless of who is or isn't home.

Automation 2:
Detects motion
6:01am to 6:59pm
People - When nobody is home

This will send you a notification when motion is detected between those hours only when no one is home.

Unless I'm mistaken that will give you the same results of it being 'or' like you are looking for.

schmidt65

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Like mentioned its "and". Those are the rules set and both need to be met for you to receive a notification.

This is something you clearly don't want. But there is a solution...I think. However you need to know there is a potential conflict with the way you want it. You will get nuisance notifications between 7pm and 6am if your motion is detected. If you are ok with that then try this.

Set two automations.

Automation 1:
Detects motion
7:00pm to 6:00am
People - off

This will send you a notification when motion is detected between those hours regardless of who is or isn't home.

Automation 2:
Detects motion
6:01am to 6:59pm
People - When nobody is home

This will send you a notification when motion is detected between those hours only when no one is home.

Unless I'm mistaken that will give you the same results of it being 'or' like you are looking for.
Hi

Thanks for this, the only problem is automations are set to run a particular scene or switch on/off an accessory, which I don’t want. All I want is the notification of motion sent to my iPhone or Apple Watch (with screen grab of the motion).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.