Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cssmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
My first expertise with Matter and HomeKit is not good. Upgraded my Leviton Dimmer switch D226HD to firmware 2.0.3 (from 1.4.8) which is Matter compatible Immediately the switch was disconnected from HomeKit. Re-added the device back into HomeKit with the Matter QR code, but now the dreaded "Device Not Responding" error on HomeKit. I was able to confirm that switch is connected to my Wifi. Further the "My Leviton" app CAN control the switch perfectly. Stupidly I did this on 2 dimmer switches, before realized all was not well. I have other Leviton switches to change over, but not proceeding.

I have confirmed my 4K Apple TV is at IOS 16.2, and rebooted. I have removed the device from both the MY Leviton App, and HomeKit multiple times. Rebooted all device as well. Same issue "Not responding". I have reached out to Leviton support and they have not been able to help so far.

This is so frustrating, all of my HK devices, from Leviton and many others have worked solidly for years.

Any guidance or experience, or suggestions?

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
I had the exact same issue with all of my Eve door sensors once they were updated.

I removed them all and re-added and they did work for a bit. I've now changed my router today and three of them don't work again. I've given up until Eve release updates. I am on the Eve beta program.

Edit: all 6 are back to not responding now.

My Apple TV 4K 2022 is acting as the current home hub with 16.3 beta

ehaugk

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2008
New Jersey
Same experience for me as well with Leviton matter firmware 2.0.9. 36 switches are I get sporadic and consistent not responding on them more often then not. HomeKit is NOT working with matter at the moment, would urge everyone not to update. No solutions for my problems either, I guess we have to wait for Apple and matter device manufacturers to figure it out.

FaasNat

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2002
Home
Just curious, if the switch is already integrated into HomeKit, is there a need or benefit to upgrade it to Matter compatible?

ehaugk

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2008
New Jersey
Just curious, if the switch is already integrated into HomeKit, is there a need or benefit to upgrade it to Matter compatible?
For the switches that do randomly work (not many), there seems to be absolutely no perceivable benefit. They work exactly in the same manner as before (though as noted matter is completely bonked with HomeKit at this time). I really hope a future iOS update solves this.

cssmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
For the switches that do randomly work (not many), there seems to be absolutely no perceivable benefit. They work exactly in the same manner as before (though as noted matter is completely bonked with HomeKit at this time). I really hope a future iOS update solves this.
I agree with the comment. None of my Matter devices work with HomeKit when their firmware was upgraded. **DO NOT Upgrade any device would be mu guidance.

cssmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
As an update, I am now on Leviton firmware 2.0.9 (G2 dimmer switches) with HK TvOS 16.3 for my Apple TV hub. No improvement. Those devices still sit at "Not responding". Leviton has guided me to have all HK devices on the same SSID along with my Apple TV. My Apple TV is connect via wired E-Net (and I am not taking if off a wired connection). Leviton has told me Apple is having an issue with HK, when all devices (including the hub) are not on the same SSID. Based on my many hours of testing and trouble shooting, I do feel the issue is with Apple / HK. I have no issue with the "My Leviton" app controlling those G2 Dimmer Switches. It is a pain the the butt, that none of my scenes work with those Leviton switches. ** Does anyone have a Matte device working with HK?? **

As an interesting 'tid-bit' I discovered during trouble shooting; If you manually enter the Matte QR code into HK, the format HK is looking for is different than the Matte on the Leviton app. Thus HK says the manually entered code is invalid. To me that is a huge clue of the real issue. The format should be consistent. But no one is listening to this fact. (Note, using the camera to scan the Matte QR code into HK works)

cssmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
As an update, Leviton G2 switch firmware 2.0.11 does not work with HK TvOS 16.6. All switches with that firmware are “Not Responding”. But I am able to control those switches with the Leviton app with no issues. Finally, I have kept some G2 devices on firmware 1.4.8 (non-matter firmware) and they operate perfectly with HK.

Anyone have any input? Anyone have a Leviton Matter device properly working with HomeKit?

Do NOT upgrade any device to a Matter firmware that you want to operate on HK.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
As an update, Leviton G2 switch firmware 2.0.11 does not work with HK TvOS 16.6. All switches with that firmware are “Not Responding”. But I am able to control those switches with the Leviton app with no issues. Finally, I have kept some G2 devices on firmware 1.4.8 (non-matter firmware) and they operate perfectly with HK.

Anyone have any input? Anyone have a Leviton Matter device properly working with HomeKit?

Do NOT upgrade any device to a Matter firmware that you want to operate on HK.
I have about 20+ Gen2 devices installed in a church about 20,000 sq ft in size. I just recently updated all the switches and dimmers to the matter firmware. I’m using a home pod mini as a hub. The only disappointing thing that this is matter over Wi-Fi, and not matter over thread. Hopefully they can make that change in the future. The HomePod mini is on the latest firmware.

cssmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
I have about 20+ Gen2 devices installed in a church about 20,000 sq ft in size. I just recently updated all the switches and dimmers to the matter firmware. I’m using a home pod mini as a hub. The only disappointing thing that this is matter over Wi-Fi, and not matter over thread. Hopefully they can make that change in the future. The HomePod mini is on the latest firmware.
@ osofast240sx

I am not sure I understand your reference to "...matter over Wi-Fi, and not matter over thread." What is matter over threat?

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
@ osofast240sx

I am not sure I understand your reference to "...matter over Wi-Fi, and not matter over thread." What is matter over threat?
Leviton smart switches work over Wi-Fi, with the new update they work with matter over Wi-Fi. Smart Switches like wemo and Aquara work over thread, thread is a protocol which allows each device to talk to each other instead of directly to a Wi-Fi router.

D. Kenner

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2023
hi there... new to this forum. I just upgraded to the 2.1.0 firmware version and I am also getting the "No Response" message from Homekit. the Leviton app sees the switches but not Homekit. Homekit recognizes each of the Matter setup codes but then fails to connect . :) any suggestions ?

D. Kenner

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2023
same issue here.. looking for a way to rollback the firmware on the current leviton switches

Ian Harder

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2023
hi there... new to this forum. I just upgraded to the 2.1.0 firmware version and I am also getting the "No Response" message from Homekit. the Leviton app sees the switches but not Homekit. Homekit recognizes each of the Matter setup codes but then fails to connect . :) any suggestions ?
I struggled with this for quite some time, and just resolved it today. I have a number of Leviton and Eve devices, and my Apple TV 4K acts as the HomeKit hub. All Leviton devices were upgraded to v 2.1.0 with the exception of one motion controlled dimmer. That was the only one of the entire set (including the Eve Thread devices) that would consistently connect. I could occasionally get others to connect for a day or so by restarting the wifi router, Apple TV, or both. However, it would eventually fail.

All of my devices are in a 2.4 GHz wifi network, and the Apple TV was wired ethernet. I finally removed the Ethernet cable from the Apple TV and used the same wifi SSID as the devices and it all started working.

I've experimented with changing the Apple TV to a different 5GHz network and it failed again. I also tried with a mixed 2.4/5 GHz network and that also failed.

My takeaway from this is that HomeKit requires the hub to be on the same wifi SSID as the Matter devices. If they’re not Matter then it just needs to be on the same LAN.

i think Apple should fix this, as it’s now requiring me to use the slower and more congestion prone 2.4GHz wifi to watch TV. I’d prefer to connect that by cable to provide better bandwidth.

Last edited:

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
I struggled with this for quite some time, and just resolved it today. I have a number of Leviton and Eve devices, and my Apple TV 4K acts as the HomeKit hub. All Leviton devices were upgraded to v 2.1.0 with the exception of one motion controlled dimmer. That was the only one of the entire set (including the Eve Thread devices) that would consistently connect. I could occasionally get others to connect for a day or so by restarting the wifi router, Apple TV, or both. However, it would eventually fail.

All of my devices are in a 2.4 GHz wifi network, and the Apple TV was wired ethernet. I finally removed the Ethernet cable from the Apple TV and used the same wifi SSID as the devices and it all started working.

I've experimented with changing the Apple TV to a different 5GHz network and it failed again. I also tried with a mixed 2.4/5 GHz network and that also failed.

My takeaway from this is that HomeKit requires the hub to be on the same wifi SSID as the Matter devices. If they’re not Matter then it just needs to be on the same LAN.

i think Apple should fix this, as it’s now requiring me to use the slower and more congestion prone 2.4GHz wifi to watch TV. I’d prefer to connect that by cable to provide better bandwidth.
Get a second AppleTv/Homepod to be your home hub, and put your AppleTv that streams video on ethernet?

I've Never experienced this limitation myself but I am not heavily invested in Matter, no need for it. From what I can tell right now it is for beta testers and there is no compelling or practical reason to use it.

Last edited:

Ian Harder

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2023
Get a second AppleTv/Homepod to be your home hub, and put your AppleTv that streams video on ethernet?

I've Never experienced this limitation myself but I am not heavily invested in Matter, no need for it. From what I can tell right now it is for beta testers and there is no compelling or practical reason to use it.
Yes, that's certainly an option if I need it. However, requiring them to be on the same SSID is quite limiting and unnecessary. It seems like something that could easily be resolved.

And you're correct, there's little reason to upgrade to Matter for the Leviton devices. I do appreciate that you can access the setup codes electronically rather than having to use the physical ones (assuming you haven't taken a photo or otherwise stored them), especially if you need to reattach devices for some reason. It would be a definite benefit if they supported Thread, but they don't. Perhaps in the future.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
You can role the switch back to its original firmware by holding the on switch for 45 seconds. Eventually the light will turn off and the bottom led will turn solid red. Let go after that and it does a master reset. You will have to re add it in the Leviton app. It will be back at its original firmware. It will let you update to the newest 1.x version (1.6) before you have to update to 2.x (matter)

Problem is once it’s back on a HomeKit firmware you still can’t seem to add it to HomeKit. When you try it will start to add it and then HomeKit will give you an error that the device can’t be used with HomeKit. :(

It should also be noted that updating to matter kills all the extended automation features. With HomeKit you can use a third party HomeKit app such as home+ to automate other things such as the led indicator light… or any option of the switch… all that goes away with matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.