Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sgreen314

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2013
I'm guessing I know the answer to this based on what happened, just trying to confirm and maybe prevent someone else from running into this issue. Seems I can't create automations without an Apple TV or HomePod now. I thought it was entirely optional based on https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213481 . Seems if you create a new "Home" on 16.4, it automatically updates to the new architecture.

I was trying out 'HomeBridge' the other day getting some non-HomeKit devices to work with HomeKit. I already had iPadOS 16.3 working with an existing HomeKit outlet, then added HomeBridge and some other devices to the existing home. I updated to 16.4, and tried to get another family into the "Home", their device said I needed to update my software. Since I have no Apple TV or HomePod I declined updating. I got rid of HomeBridge since I couldn't really share at this point, old devices were still showing in my "Home" this morning. I then deleted the whole Home to start over fresh. I tried this morning to recreate my timer automations for my lamp that worked under 16.3 only to have the above issue.

Never once did I complete the "upgrade" instructions, no one else in my house would even have access or the slightest idea how to do it. 'Use iPad as a Home Hub' not available in Settings anymore.

Not trying to make people feel sorry for me, I'm a big boy, I can deal with it! Just maybe it will help someone else.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Interesting. I can't confirm, but I guess it makes sense since the architecture upgrade updates the Home itself. Sounds like Apple may be defaulting new Homes to use the new architecture.

I wonder... If one were to create a new Home using an older OS (i.e. iOS/iPadOS 15 or older), if it would create the Home using the old architecture. Seems like it would have to, right? Perhaps that is one way to downgrade if one does have access to an older OS. I do have a spare iPad stuck on iPadOS 15. I may have to tinker with it out of curiosity.

UPDATE: You cannot use an older OS to create a Home using the old architecture. It seems that when you remove a Home it sort of creates a new one in its place. I deleted my Home from my 16.4 device and then signed into my iPad. It synced with iCloud and then said the Home was not compatible with my iPad. It prevents me from doing anything else, so can't even remove the Home using my iPad to have it create a new one.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.