Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2010
I'm interested in getting an outlet that monitors power usage. In reviewing outlets on the HomeKit items available thread, there were some options but some seem to be announced but never released or are out of stock when I check. My main purpose for the outlet is not so much the ability to turn on and off a device but to monitor the power usage. Ideally the app would record peak draws and have some sort of charting function. Even better would be if the app would allow for downloading the data for analysis in a spreadsheet (I can dream can't I?).

Bottom line, what do you recommend for an outlet for monitoring and tracking power usage?

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
I have both Koogeek Smart Plug and Elgato Eve Energy. While yes, both track energy use, I would recommend Elgato as it meets pretty most of your needs, which you stated:

- record peak draws
- charting
- download data

Koogeek's app offers limited tracking data, just for monthly (all the months for the current year) and daily (only for the last two months). You can't drill deeper than the total daily usage, and as far as I can tell, the app does not offer any way to download the data. Presentation of the data is offered in bar charts and table of numbers. It seems that Koogeek can do better than this, but for some reason they stopped halfway in.

Elgato's app shows the data in hourly or daily granularity in a bar chart form. Actual measurements are accumulated in a 10-minute block. Although the charts can only go back to a certain point (e.g. hourly bars can go back up to three weeks on the "day" tab), all measurements are nicely saved and browsable in a table form. They can also be exported as Excel files to other apps, cloud services, or Macs (AirDrop).

I don't own an iDevices Switch, so I can't make a fair comparison there, but looking at the manufacturer's support page:
https://idevicesinc.com/support/switch/230360568/

Data processed into an "insight report" form seem to be the app's strong point. However, it's not clear if the actual underlying data can be browsed as easily and a quick internet search was inconclusive.

Lots of smart outlets/plugs claim to "track energy use", but I have yet to see it done as comprehensively as Elgato Eve.

Reactions: DaveN

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Thanks to all. After I posted my question I continued to search the internet and came up with the same options as you mention. I would think that to have reasonably accurate measurements the plugs must be sampling fairly frequently. While I don't think that one would need every sample point, it would be nice to be able to play with the data.

I contacted Elgato and Koogeek to see if they would be interested in updating their software to make more data available.

Last edited:

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2010
I am curious, are you looking for something that does the whole house or just that switch this is installed on?
Just the switch. The thought is is that I only have a few major appliances that draw significant power (refrigerator, dehumidifier, window air conditioner, plasma tv. I can then monitor the max, min and cumulative energy consumption and plan from there. Actually, really only curious about the tv and refrigerator - it is over 20 years old. Another pet project is to figure out how much the refrigerator in my sisters 1950s rv uses so I can size a power supply for boon docking.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Just the switch. The thought is is that I only have a few major appliances that draw significant power (refrigerator, dehumidifier, window air conditioner, plasma tv. I can then monitor the max, min and cumulative energy consumption and plan from there. Actually, really only curious about the tv and refrigerator - it is over 20 years old. Another pet project is to figure out how much the refrigerator in my sisters 1950s rv uses so I can size a power supply for boon docking.

Interesting, thank you.

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Half of my Elgato Eve Energy plugs are used precisely for that purpose. It was quite surprising for me to find out how much power the fridge is consuming - definitely way over the specified average, and it's nearly 10 years old now.

Reactions: DaveN

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Half of my Elgato Eve Energy plugs are used precisely for that purpose. It was quite surprising for me to find out how much power the fridge is consuming - definitely way over the specified average, and it's nearly 10 years old now.
I ordered an Elgato Eve based on your earlier post. Thanks!

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I have the same situation as OP and while the Eve Energy sounds like the best option, seeing as this thread is almost 7 years old, I wonder is Eve still the best option or are there any updated recommendations? Thanks!

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I am using Kasa bridged via Home Assistant. I have a little dedicated Pi 4 box with Home Assistant hooked to my router and it "just works."
It allows other things like my pool controller, ceiling fans, air conditioning to how up in addition to Hue bridged via their software and native HomeKit devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.