Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

groovyd

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
HomeKit more or less worked mostly reliably for me using my iPad mini as the 'hub' up until I took a trip (with the iPad) to NZ for the month of Feb. After returning home the iPad updated to 11.2.6 and ever since it only works for some time after rebooting the mini or toggling the wifi on and eventually shows all devices as 'Not Responding'. Seems to fix itself by either toggling wifi off/on or rebooting the mini but again fails after some short time. Is this a new issue from the latest iOS or is anyone else having similar issues recently?

It is quite a problem as my entire condo runs on homekit automation and now nothing works most of the time. Very unreliable.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
HomeKit more or less worked mostly reliably for me using my iPad mini as the 'hub' up until I took a trip (with the iPad) to NZ for the month of Feb. After returning home the iPad updated to 11.2.6 and ever since it only works for some time after rebooting the mini or toggling the wifi on and eventually shows all devices as 'Not Responding'. Seems to fix itself by either toggling wifi off/on or rebooting the mini but again fails after some short time. Is this a new issue from the latest iOS or is anyone else having similar issues recently?

It is quite a problem as my entire condo runs on homekit automation and now nothing works most of the time. Very unreliable.

Yes I can see that being quite the problem. I can’t comment as to the state of 11.2.6, I’m on the beta.

But is the iPad your only other “hub” device?

One, admittedly annoying, fix could be to remove the iPad as your HomeKit hub and set it up again with the HomePod serving as the HomeKit hub.

While it would be a little annoying having to set your devices up again. It would be better in the long run as the HomePod would always be there acting as the hub 24/7. So it wouldn’t matter if you took your iPad anywhere.

groovyd

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
I don't have a HomePod but I was considering getting one once it has been through the wash a bit. My iPad mini is my only 'hub'. I was hoping Apple would allow a desktop or laptop to play the homekit and hub game soon and I have absolutely no need for an Apple TV. I would expect a laptop or desktop to provide a more reliable service as a hub and am really hoping they choose that path for future macOS's. My laptop rarely if ever leaves my desk while sometimes I take my iPad mini with me on trips. One of the two would always be at home in the case you can have 2 hubs for redundancy.

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Whatever the reason, Apple isn’t apparently going to bring any HomeKit-related functionality to Macs any time soon. And my experience is that iPads can be spotty as a HK hub. So if all fails one way to go may be getting a used 4th gen Apple TV, if the cost is a concern.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.