Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Anyone testing it out yet? I was hoping for more HomeKit news today. I’m sure beta testers will turn up some more new stuff.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I don’t generally like installing betas but HSV looks like it’s getting much needed improvements. Still useless to me with a 5 camera max though and no decent doorbell on the market yet ?.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I don’t generally like installing betas but HSV looks like it’s getting much needed improvements. Still useless to me with a 5 camera max though and no decent doorbell on the market yet ?.
The lack of doorbell is a huge letdown. I’m using a Nest Hello now and am just about ready to pull the trigger on the Starling hub as long as I don’t lose much functionality with it. I’m not affected yet but I was also hoping for a bump in the max camera department.

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
I think at this point we’re waiting for an updated Apple TV and hoping it increases the camera count, then. I rather doubt it’ll happen in a future Apple services update absent new hardware.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
The lack of doorbell is a huge letdown. I’m using a Nest Hello now and am just about ready to pull the trigger on the Starling hub as long as I don’t lose much functionality with it. I’m not affected yet but I was also hoping for a bump in the max camera department.
According to the Starling website, the Nest Hello retains its features in HomeKit. They have a screenshot for the tiles that the Nest Hello creates. I have never seen a single HomeKit accessory with so many tiles lol. I was going to install mine over the weekend but it seems the wires going to my wall chime are not getting power. Waiting for an electrician ?

95D7929A-3B3B-408C-8240-7552B0BF966C.png
[automerge]1592940068[/automerge]
I think at this point we’re waiting for an updated Apple TV and hoping it increases the camera count, then. I rather doubt it’ll happen in a future Apple services update absent new hardware.
Possibly also the rumored mini HomePod will have a better “A” chip to accommodate this too.

Reactions: d.steve

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
USA
According to the Starling website, the Nest Hello retains its features in HomeKit. They have a screenshot for the tiles that the Nest Hello creates. I have never seen a single HomeKit accessory with so many tiles lol. I was going to install mine over the weekend but it seems the wires going to my wall chime are not getting power. Waiting for an electrician ?

View attachment 926760
[automerge]1592940068[/automerge]

Possibly also the rumored mini HomePod will have a better “A” chip to accommodate this too.
Wow that is a lot of tiles. I guess it’s a very capable device with the Starling.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Wow that is a lot of tiles. I guess it’s a very capable device with the Starling.
I was completely sold when they added 2-Way audio on one of the recent Starling updates. Picked up 6 of those Eufy indoor Pan and tilt cams on the preorder and already selling them for lack of 2-Way audio in HomeKit. Logitech has it and now Starling so don’t know what Eufy’s issue is.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I was completely sold when they added 2-Way audio on one of the recent Starling updates. Picked up 6 of those Eufy indoor Pan and tilt cams on the preorder and already selling them for lack of 2-Way audio in HomeKit. Logitech has it and now Starling so don’t know what Eufy’s issue is.
Finally ordered the Starling. Also have a Chamberlain MyQ Home Bridge on the way. Basically I’ll be living in the house of the future soon ?

• Love

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Finally ordered the Starling. Also have a Chamberlain MyQ Home Bridge on the way. Basically I’ll be living in the house of the future soon ?
It’s amazing. I got hooked from the very first device I added which was a Yale lock with August connect. My new hobby pretty much lol.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
anybody have any screenshots with HomeKit control center in iOS 14? looks like its a bigger box now separately which makes me think we would get a full screen list of devices and scenes?
Also can you add HomeKit to any widgets on the main screen?
Is nest actually supporting HomeKit now or soon? I have a thermo and cam id love to not have to sell if I can get HomeKit support since google bought them out.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Probably a dumb question, but do you need a HSV capable camera to use activity zones?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Probably a dumb question, but do you need a HSV capable camera to use activity zones?
Within HomeKit, yes. But the third party app from the particular camera like Logitech or Eufy offer the same, usually as part of a monthly cloud storage service. Not sure about Eufy since they have SD support. It might be included with the camera purchase alone.

Dave.Inwood1988

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2019
anybody have any screenshots with HomeKit control center in iOS 14? looks like its a bigger box now separately which makes me think we would get a full screen list of devices and scenes?
Also can you add HomeKit to any widgets on the main screen?
Is nest actually supporting HomeKit now or soon? I have a thermo and cam id love to not have to sell if I can get HomeKit support since google bought them out.

How is this?
5ee76ca411c2c6c703f47370360a50c4.png

92df5cd41acadfe3004c4a1231b2a5dc.png

b1973df34f28fdd84d6c3269cc0bfd81.png

db50d7fadbf0a346fd9e3035172ec402.png

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
It's not there yet, but I like the fact that I can pick scenes on the Apple TV now with tvOS. Would be nice if they'd show your favorites. I ordered a Eufy 2K indoor cam to toy around with Secure Video.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
It's not there yet, but I like the fact that I can pick scenes on the Apple TV now with tvOS. Would be nice if they'd show your favorites. I ordered a Eufy 2K indoor cam to toy around with Secure Video.
What do you mean favorites? I have the beta for appletv and the scenes is nice to have i mostly use scenes anyway. Sometimes i change one or two bulbs here and there

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
What do you mean favorites?
Scroll up to the post with all the screenshots. Look for the word "favourites" on all the screenshots.

It's a basic feature of the home app to mark scenes and/or devices in each room as a favorite so they show up in the home tab...

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Scroll up to the post with all the screenshots. Look for the word "favourites" on all the screenshots.

It's a basic feature of the home app to mark scenes and/or devices in each room as a favorite so they show up in the home tab...
oh yea that. I have the beta now. I put all my scenes and bulbs/strips into favorites so its on the front page already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.