Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
I have the ATV 4th gen and just upgraded my hue bridge. I have Siri working to control the lights but my Apple TV won't do it. It just says that it can't help with HomeKit. I thought the point of Siri on the ATV was that it could control HomeKit devices. Am I wrong or does it have to be somehow enabled on the ATV?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
aTV can't control home kit, but it does act as a home kit bridge.

If you are away from your home network, the aTV keeps you connected, so you can turn your lights on and off at home while you're at work.

i agree it would be a nice feature.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
aTV can't control home kit, but it does act as a home kit bridge.

If you are away from your home network, the aTV keeps you connected, so you can turn your lights on and off at home while you're at work.

i agree it would be a nice feature.
Well that's pretty dumb. It controls it but can't control it directly. It has Siri but you need to use Siri on another device. Apple just doesn't make any sense sometimes. At least by the time I got mine, I was able to use the remote app to control it. I mean, how much sense did it make for them to include the remote app on the new Apple Watch but not have it work with their new TV? There are a lot of things that Steve Jobs may or may not have done if he were still at Apple, but I think these little things wouldn't be as much of a problem. But they'd probably wait forever to ship things too. It's a trade-off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.