Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sodajerk2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2014
I have had a fairly extensive HomeKit set-up in my home for a few years now. I have HomePods, lights, switches, Wemo outlets, locks, cameras, motion, temperature and humid sensors, roller shades, etc. HomeKit will sometimes go days and even weeks with all devices connected and working properly - but eventually things go wrong.

It usually starts with with Siri requests taking a long time to react and then devices not responding at all. I'll usually try restarting my router but then that devolves into several days of trying to get all the devices back online and working properly again. I believe I can now measure the time spent try to troubleshoot getting devices back working again in several days worth of man-hours.

If Apple is really committed to this platform, and before I spend another dime, they need to come up with a better, self-healing, system or better reporting to the user regarding what is going wrong. I'd like Apple to start by offering more control over which device should be the default hub. The hub is constantly switching and I'm skeptical that a HomePod serves as a better hub than a hard wired, latest generation, Apple TV.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I have had a fairly extensive HomeKit set-up in my home for a few years now. I have HomePods, lights, switches, Wemo outlets, locks, cameras, motion, temperature and humid sensors, roller shades, etc. HomeKit will sometimes go days and even weeks with all devices connected and working properly - but eventually things go wrong.

It usually starts with with Siri requests taking a long time to react and then devices not responding at all. I'll usually try restarting my router but then that devolves into several days of trying to get all the devices back online and working properly again. I believe I can now measure the time spent try to troubleshoot getting devices back working again in several days worth of man-hours.

If Apple is really committed to this platform, and before I spend another dime, they need to come up with a better, self-healing, system or better reporting to the user regarding what is going wrong. I'd like Apple to start by offering more control over which device should be the default hub. The hub is constantly switching and I'm skeptical that a HomePod serves as a better hub than a hard wired, latest generation, Apple TV.
Unfortunately, HomeKit users are probably a small fraction of the total iPhone users. I’d bet that nobody decides to switch to iPhone because of HomeKit. My point is, I’m not sure there’s enough profit to made off of HomeKit to give it more attention. Even iOS releases have been a mess. Also, I’ve noticed over the past few years that Apple tends to not fix anything unless it’s brought to light by the major tech news outlets.

I do hope though that this latest architecture debacle, which has been plastered all over the tech media, lights a fire up Apple’s a$$, like Maps did.

I agree, my hardwired ATVs are much better performers as hubs than my HomePods and HomePod Minis. HomeKit is not too shabby when one of my hardwired ATV’s is the hub. For some silly reason though, a HomePod Mini at the end of my house wins the hub battle every friggen time and it’s so frustrating when stuff stops working. Pay close attention. When your stuff goes no response in HomeKit, it’s likely during or immediate following an auto hub switch, even though HomeKit was working perfectly fine just prior.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
It usually starts with with Siri requests taking a long time to react and then devices not responding at all. I'll usually try restarting my router but then that devolves into several days of trying to get all the devices back online and working properly again.

Can I ask what router you use? I've spent years in the HomeKit trenches as well... it can get rough for sure. But I can walk up to my routers/APs, shut them all down, and when I restore power to them, every single HomeKit WiFi-enabled device is back on the network without any intervention on my end. I have a mix of old iHome outlets, newer Vocolinc outlets, garage door openers, more HomePods than I care to count... all will recover from a network outage just fine.

I guess what I'm saying is that, while I think HomeKit has a ton of room for improvement, what you're experiencing isn't the way it's supposed to be. Is the router out of resources? DHCP range too small for the number of devices? It might be worth closer inspection just to rule it out.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I have to chime in here and report the same behavior - HomeKit seems to perk along, working flawlessly for weeks, even months at a time... and then it doesn't. Nothing changes. No additions or deletions to the configuration. It just stops - or, more accurately, pieces stop. I have a group of VOCOlinc plugs that I set up for Christmas lighting a few years ago... pulled them out of storage with my Christmas decorations, plugged them in and voila!, everything worked... several days later, random plugs started reporting "not responding", and I've been fighting with them for the past month... it's not always the same plug that refuses to get along with the rest... could be "this one"... then "that one" or "another one". Massively annoying... I long for the days of "Apple? It just works."

I'm ready to switch to a different platform, but not sure any of them are better or more reliable.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
I'm struggling with a very similar problem.

I have been using smart bulbs and plugs from IKEA, which I wanted to update to the lates technology using Thread. Last night the 3 nano leaf bulbs I've been using just stopped responding, and the meeros Thread-enabled plugs also. I've done every trouble shooting step I can find on the internet and the respective companies websites, to no avail. I've even completely reset one OG HomePod and the ATV in the bedroom.

When things like this go wrong it is pretty much impossible to trouble shoot because there's no traditional interface for anything for us to work with. If I could just specify which of my HomePods I want to be the main hub I think I could fix the problem. But, of course, I can't do that.

So... I'm putting the IKEA devices back in service and sending everything else back. Very frustrating.

lemonkid

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2015
I think that the original poster with Siri taking a long time to respond may be have to do with a weird problem that is going on for a longer time.
Sometimes it can be resolved by activating the airplane modus on your iPhone for a short time and then switch it off again. It should encourage Siri (....) to renew the location.

Others having problems with Vocolinc, that used to offer good working lights, but suddenly seems to make a mess of it all after China took over HongKong, could have different problems. If you are Vocolincked it could simply be the lousy service that they offer. Try to buy a new filter for their $500 Smart Air Purifying System, that needs regular replacement...... You can't.

But for their lights this may help:
See if your router uses Channel 12 and 13 (2,4 Ghz.) and be sure they are disabled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.