Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Debauch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
Wasn’t this latest tvOS update supposed to show a notification with a video preview from a Homekit secure camera on a TV? All of my devices (phones, iPads, homepods, and Apple TV) are updated to the latest OS(s) and I have a home secure video camera running with face detection on. I can see the video feeds in the Apple TV side pane but I don’t get video notification pop ups on the TV.

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
Preliminary research when it was in beta showed me that this was for HomeKit doorbells (i.e. a doorbell notification will trigger the notification on the Apple TV for any doorbells that have notifications set to "On" in HomeKit settings on tvOS). I don't believe notifications work for HomeKit cameras.

Disappointing because the event definitely made it seem like announcements and notifications were coming to doorbells AND cameras.

Debauch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
Ah man! That sucks. After reading your post I went back to WWDC20 and fast forwarded to the HomeKit part ... the dude says “live view when someone rings the doorbell”. Lame!! I don’t see why motion detection can’t trigger the same live view.

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
Ah man! That sucks. After reading your post I went back to WWDC20 and fast forwarded to the HomeKit part ... the dude says “live view when someone rings the doorbell”. Lame!! I don’t see why motion detection can’t trigger the same live view.

Totally agreed. If we are able to set activity zones and turn notifications on/off on a per-camera basis on tvOS, then I don't see why they don't offer it for cameras. I'd love for my front door camera to show up and then disappear when activity stops. Oh well :(. Maybe a future release!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.