Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a-bob

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
Homekit is sending notifications when camera and door sensors are triggered when I am at home, even though it is set to send notifications anytime i am NOT at home. Does this to me and my wife's phone. I have toggled notifications on/off and toggled other options but that's about it. Have not deleted and re added devices. Any help appreciated.

iPhone X, iOS 12.1.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
you've set up where home is?
go to settings app -> contacts -> my info

make sure your card is selected, and the home address is correct

if you go to your map app of choice (google or apple) does it find you properly

Tdosthp

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
Homekit is sending notifications when camera and door sensors are triggered when I am at home, even though it is set to send notifications anytime i am NOT at home. Does this to me and my wife's phone. I have toggled notifications on/off and toggled other options but that's about it. Have not deleted and re added devices. Any help appreciated.

iPhone X, iOS 12.1.

I have this issue frequently as well. My contact card appears to be correct.

I also read to share your location...Settings > iCloud

I had not purposely done this before a few days ago. Even after doing so, I still have the issue intermittently.

One of my issues, I believe, is that I carry 3 phones, all tied to the same iCloud account. Maybe one or more is slow to identify me as being home? I dunno.

Reactions: CoachDriver

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I have this issue frequently as well. My contact card appears to be correct.

I also read to share your location...Settings > iCloud

I had not purposely done this before a few days ago. Even after doing so, I still have the issue intermittently.

One of my issues, I believe, is that I carry 3 phones, all tied to the same iCloud account. Maybe one or more is slow to identify me as being home? I dunno.

on the settings page you mentioned, you select which device your location is shared from, the other 2 phones shouldn't matter.

Poontaco

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2014
I've been having the same problem for the past few days as well.
My location is correct, and shows properly on the map.

tobyx

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
Berlin, Germany
Same here, suddenly started happening on Saturday. We are 2 people, we have set HomeKit to only send motion notifications when "nobody is home". We were both home. Needless to say, it is a new HomePod, has been doing its work for a few days and just suddenly started notifying us as if we weren't home, but we were.

marklemac

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
Southampton, UK.
If you open up your maps app, does it show as a 'gps lock' on your address.

I've noticed that when I get the problems, my gps is bouncing around the house.

tobyx

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
Berlin, Germany
If you open up your maps app, does it show as a 'gps lock' on your address.

I've noticed that when I get the problems, my gps is bouncing around the house.

I'll have to check, though I don't exactly know what you mean by "gps lock".
This never happened when either of our Apple TVs was the Home Hub. Since the HomePod, the Hub has been the HomePod. And since you can't change it manually...

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Settings > Privacy > Locations Services > Home - While Using

Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > HomeKit - ON

Contacts > Your card/name > click on your home address > verify its correct (if not continue) > edit location > move your home so its actually in the exact spot of your home.

Reactions: CoachDriver

lankox

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
All of my sensors and locks are notifying me when opened while everyone is home even though all of them are set to only notify when "nobody is home". Is this still a problem for others?

Reactions: KJH

Tdosthp

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
All of my sensors and locks are notifying me when opened while everyone is home even though all of them are set to only notify when "nobody is home". Is this still a problem for others?

Yep. Intermittently. Usually goes away after 30mins to an hour after i get back home.

I use 3 iPhones, an iPad, and a MacBook Pro on a daily basis. Not sure if they are getting out of sync or what.

Recently my MacBook shows the alerts, even if my phones/iPad don’t. Frustrating.

sdarren7

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2018
I also have this issue as well. Any fix?

August lock work fine however all my hue motion sensor send me notifications even when all of us is at home.
i set it to only notify me when nobody is at home

Location trigger work fine. So my setting cant be wrong.

Vislad

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2019
Chicago
I too bought a Logitech Circle security camera. The issue is intermittent. I have it set so it only sends me notifications when nobody is home. But I will get motion notifications even when I am in the living room at times.

Following some of the directions above - I went ahead and put in my address in my contact. I noticed, however, that my address shows up as the building two doors East of me in Apple Maps. (Apple Maps is still not quite so accurate near downtown Chicago). I had to manually edit the location and drop the pin to be on my building. The original pin was far enough away that my GPS marker wasn’t anywhere near it when I was home. (Sometimes within range on Cellular but not in range when connected to WiFi). Doing so helped a good amount with these notifications.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
FWIW, I get this for about 20 minutes after my Home Hub randomly switches. Anyone with this issue running multiple Hubs?

Iph#*one267

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2024
In your contacts app
Make sure you have your Home address added and label ed Home
If you have try deleting home address and added back in the contacts app.
If that doesn’t help then try this > settings > privacy and security > location services > share my location > make sure your select your iPhone under my location, and toggle is enabled under share my location.

Also make sure significant location is turned on.
> settings > privacy and security > location services > system services > significant location > on
If that doesn’t help then try “clear history” under significant locations.

try restarting your iPhone
> settings > general > shut down

Also make sure
> settings > mail > accounts > fetch new data > push enabled on under iCloud

let us know if that helps.

Reactions: b17777
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.