Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikelets456

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2022
Bucks County, PA
I'm an avid Apple user but new to Homekit---please forgive me if this has been discussed. I have a few thermostats/accessories that are "Homekit" accessories. In each app it states "set up Homekit"---so I do that but nothing happens. Then I tried adding from "Homekit" but nothing happens---what am I missing?

I'm trying from my iphone 15 PM with 17.2.1

mikelets456

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2022
Bucks County, PA
Sensi 1F86U
Wiz lighting
Aladdin Garage

EDIT---never mind, there's nothing on the Apple kit site but all these apps state "connect to Homelink".

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
Sensi 1F86U
Wiz lighting
Aladdin Garage

EDIT---never mind, there's nothing on the Apple kit site but all these apps state "connect to Homelink".

Homelink is not Homekit.

I am familiar with the Sensi products.

That older non-color screen model will work with Homekit only if the Sensi logo is on the front plastic on the top. There are two types. The ones that say Emerson are not Homekit compatible.

Generally speaking, the easiest way to setup a Homekit device is to scan the Homekit QR code in the Home app. You often do not need to install the manufacturer app.

RRIVERA APPL

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2018
If I purchase a homekit ceiling fan and connect it to a homekit wall switch, will they interfere with each other?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
If I purchase a homekit ceiling fan and connect it to a homekit wall switch, will they interfere with each other?

you do not want to do that.

if the fan is "smart" then it needs constant power, and it will handle turning itself off and on.

If you put a homekit wall switch on the power going to the fan, then if the wall switch is off, and you send a command to the fan, nothing will happen, since the electronics in the fan are powered off and can't do anything. And even worse would be to put a dimmer and send the fan partial power, you could potentially damage the fan that way.

You can install the switch and "hot wire" around it, so the fan always has power, and there's nothing connected to the load side of the switch, and then make automations that turn the fan on/off when the switch turns on/off.

Or you can get a homekit button and stick it to the wall close to the switch. Most buttons support short, long, and double press. so you could assign Hi, low, off to those.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.