Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Hello! Long time Apple and mac user, very technically savvy just getting into Homekit for the first time. I have this nifty iDevices outlet Im controlling a light with. Works great from the iPhone 12 Pro on 14.2 I just set it up on, but Homekit sync doesn't seem to be working to my iPad Pro, also on 14.2. I have iCloud syncing on for the iDevices app, and Homekit syncing on. Ive tried turning it off and on on both devices. Is this correct behavior? Is there some other step Im missing? My Mac can see the device in its Home app so theres that. Seems the iPad is wigging out.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
so the home app in your iPad is empty?
can you control the outlet using siri on the iPad?

I'm assuming you've already tried rebooting your iPad and router?

as long as they're both signed into the same apple account, it should just show up.
(not sure if maybe you have a work account on the iPad or something.)

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
so the home app in your iPad is empty?
can you control the outlet using siri on the iPad?

I'm assuming you've already tried rebooting your iPad and router?

as long as they're both signed into the same apple account, it should just show up.
(not sure if maybe you have a work account on the iPad or something.)
Nah nothing special. Yeah tried the reboot no dice

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
It should just show up if both devices are signed into the same iCloud account. If different, you’d have to invite the iPad account in. Make sure keychain and 2FA are enabled on the iPad. Those are required for HomeKit.

Reactions: RumorConsumer

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
So weird it seems like its resolved overnight. Thanks for your help!

Since you're new, be aware of the implications of connecting a device to both the manufacturer as well as a HomeKit hub. You lose privacy aspects by not just using the hub.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Since you're new, be aware of the implications of connecting a device to both the manufacturer as well as a HomeKit hub. You lose privacy aspects by not just using the hub.
Thank you. That’s great. Is there an option not to use the manufacturers app? If it’s HomeKit compatible can you just pair only to the Home app? Firmware updates not withstanding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.