Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingBowser64

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
Chicago, IL
As of a few hours ago today (December 17), the 5 other family members invited to our 2 HomeKit homes have lost access to both of our HomeKit homes. I made both of the homes and still have access to both, but the other 5 people cannot access either home. When they open the Home app it says, "Home Hub(s) are not responding." I am running iOS 11.2.5 beta on my devices, while everyone else is running iOS 11.2.1 on theirs. The Apple TVs are up-to-date (with one running a beta version).

Home 1:
-Apple TV 4K (11.2.5 beta)
-Apple TV 4 (11.2.1)

Home 2:
-Apple TV 4 (11.2.1)

All 3 HomeKit hubs are working for me and I have access to all of our accessories (both at-home and remotely). I also tried removing my Dad and then re-added him, but that did not fix anything. Is anyone else having this issue? We have not really had serious issues with HomeKit once it got better with iOS 11. I am hoping it is just a temporary Apple server-side issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcdspncr

mcdspncr

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2011
Yup - also having the same (frustrating) problems. I have all the phones and iPads in the house updated to 11.2.1 and I still can’t send out invites. Just keeps saying the invitee is not a registered Apple ID (which they are of course). I hard restarted the phones and logged in and out of each Apple ID/iCloud, still with no change as of 12/18. Is there anything else I can do, or just wait for an Apple fix?

chuyn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015
It seems like 11.2.5 doesn't include the fix for the HomeKit issues. All of the devices in my house are on 11.2.5 and they don't work. I mean, mine do, but I can't invite my wife for access.

KingBowser64

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
Chicago, IL
Connected to our home wifi network, both my phone and my Mom's phone can control the accessories (except she is unable to control the Philips Hue Wireless Dimmer Switches that are HomeKit-compatible now. Our wifi and Bluetooth devices are still controllable on our home wifi network). The attached pictures are taken on our home wifi network, with one from my phone and the other from my Mom's phone, and both Apple TVs are connected as HomeKit hubs here. You can see that my Mom's phone says, "No home hubs responding," while mine does not mention this (nor cause any problems). Once we leave our home wifi network, my Mom and the other 4 members are unable to control any accessories, while I still am able to.

I sent in a Bug Report to Apple and hope that this gets fixed soon because our house heavily relies on HomeKit now, but with backup options available still (such as physical keys still usable with August Locks). We personally enjoy HomeKit because it gives us granular control when we are not home, so we are "always home." Once Sonos adds AirPlay 2 support, this will really help complete it all. Sadly, issues like this make me nervous to trust HomeKit.

11.2.1 was supposed to fix a HomeKit issue, but now there is this HomeKit issue. I made sure that everyone was on 11.2.1 to make sure that that was not causing this, but everyone is updated. I hope Apple gets this taken care of soon.

IMG_0557.PNG IMG_0558.JPG

Reactions: mcdspncr

carlos28355

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2012
Same here. I removed my wife and cannot invite her back to my home.

Keep receiving invite failed error “email not registered with iCloud”

I went through this. you have to remove everyone from home kit then send the invite again. it didn't work right away so give it a little time but this should do the trick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.