Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

southerndoc

Contributor
Original poster
May 15, 2006
USA
I'm having periodic times where I cannot access my Insteon devices while away from home. I have 4 AppleTV's (4th generation) signed into my username for iCloud. Sometimes I can access while away, sometimes I cannot.

Is anyone else having issues with HomeKit while away from home? If so, is there anything you did to resolve them?

I'm wondering if this is a bug with the AppleTV or a problem with the Insteon Hub.

Mac... nificent

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
As of a few months ago it wasn't supported. I'm trying to get confirmation that it's been turned back on, but according to what you posted it doesn't look good.

southerndoc

Contributor
Original poster
May 15, 2006
USA
Insteon doesn't support it? Why does it work sometimes? Just a fluke?

Honestly, I don't think I *truly* need it, but it's a nice option. My thermostats are on the ADT Pulse system, so we can adjust those while we're away.

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
I only have one Apple TV 4, and one iHome Smart Plug, Homekit is working fine for me while away. I am able to control the plug both via Siri on my iPhone and by using the iHome app. My ATV is wired to the network and I configured my router to assign both the ATV and iHome plug static IP addresses.

Mac... nificent

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Insteon doesn't support it? Why does it work sometimes?
There's no way for anyone to know if your hub is supported because you didn't say which model you have. Per the Apple website that feature was turned off temporarily, and I have been trying to find out if it was reinstated.

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
I'm having trouble as well, but I can control my lights through the Hue web portal.

I have 3 Apple TV 3rd gen units. I've read that you need to log out of and back into your iCloud account from the Apple TV...i'd imagine that's going to mean I'll have to do the same from all 3 units.

Otherwise - home kit functioning pretty well so far with my limited but growing setup.

1x Phillips 2.0 Hub (square home kit)

4 phillips hue downlights, 2 GE Link smart bulbs set up through the phillips hub.

1x lutron homekit hub controlling a caseta switch.

I just hope Chamberlain updates their hub and gives me HomeKit/Siri control of my garage door and a couple of light switches I've installed over the past year.

southerndoc

Contributor
Original poster
May 15, 2006
USA
There's no way for anyone to know if your hub is supported because you didn't say which model you have. Per the Apple website that feature was turned off temporarily, and I have been trying to find out if it was reinstated.

I have the 2243-222 Hub.

cduff

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2015
I have the 2242 Insteon hub and after a power outage, my router will reassign the IP address for the hub causing the app not to work outside my wi-fi network.

I then have to go into my router settings, find the MAC address for the hub and change the IP back to the original one.

I'm not sure if this is the case with the newer hub, but it might be your IP settings?

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Im using home kit for my philips hue lights , 15 different lights and i can control them while im not home, i also have a ihome plug that i also can control while away using the apps or siri... I also have 2 elgato eve room and i can't access them while away, the company said that its supposed to work if i have a apple tv 3 or later, and have both the 3 and the 4. They also said to use the @icloud.com instead of the @me.com email... Tried that still not working.

southerndoc

Contributor
Original poster
May 15, 2006
USA
I have my router (Linksys LRT224) assign an IP address based on the Hub's MAC address. So it always has the same IP address.

myname70

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2014
For me ATV3 does not work. ATV4 works with the official tvOS. Keep in mind that some HomeKit devices are Bluetooth only! Line my EVE weather and EVE door. So, if your ATV is far away you can face such a temporary issues outside. Move the ATV4 on better position close to your devices (especially Bluetooth only).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.