Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fastbagger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2015
Other day I removed my Liftmaster hub from my MyQ app and in doing so it wiped out all of my HomeKit accessories. Any way I can retrieve them without having to manually enter each one? Thanks in advance.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Did you just remove the hub or the whole home accidentally? What is the Home App showing? Clean slate or does it say “Loading Scenes and Accessories”

Removing the hub alone shouldn’t have wiped out your whole Home. The apps are tied together though so if you removed your home from MyQ, it would wipe everything from HomeKit and not much you could do. I learned that lesson with a different third party HomeKit app in the past.

For future reference, there are two third party apps that I know of that let you create a backup for your Home. “Controller” for HomeKit and the “Home+” app which is currently in beta. They’re not free though.

fastbagger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2015
Home app is blank no accessories are shown. When I deleted the hub from myQ I rec'd a warning something about HomeKit but did not think it would delete all of my apps. Odd thing is some of the accessories showed up when I did a search for new devices and I was able to connect them to HomeKit. My HomeKit always was slow and had the dreaded "updating" message. After I removed the hub from myQ the accessories load faster. Wonder if the myQ hub was causing issues who knows maybe this was a blessing in disguise. I also have Alexa and Google Home connected to all of my accessories and of course they are still working perfect. Seems by removing the hub from myQ because it was connected to HomeKit it removed all of my accessories. I think the myQ hub was actually working as a hub to control my accessories maybe?

Thanks for providing info on those 2 apps gonna look into it. Don't know why when logging into HomeKit iCloud does not remember the Home settings. Oh Apple...

Reactions: Itinj24

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
I happen to make the same mistake one time, I wanted to remove several devices, opened the 3rd party app and just removed the "Home" from that App. I should have removed the individual devices then sign out of the App and left the Home alone and then delete the app. It removed every device from HomeKit. :mad:

Going forward just remove the item(s) only and it will remove only those from HomeKit leaving everything else alone.
I second the Home+ App and I use the backup option. It's a pretty nice App and I feel better having a backup.

It's a real bummer when that happens by mistake.

fastbagger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2015
I happen to make the same mistake one time, I wanted to remove several devices, opened the 3rd party app and just removed the "Home" from that App. I should have removed the individual devices then sign out of the App and left the Home alone and then delete the app. It removed every device from HomeKit. :mad:

Going forward just remove the item(s) only and it will remove only those from HomeKit leaving everything else alone.
I second the Home+ App and I use the backup option. It's a pretty nice App and I feel better having a backup.

It's a real bummer when that happens by mistake.
Is that app called Home+5? Thanks.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
It allows you to create a backup file and save it to your iCloud account. I suppose you could save it locally too if you wanted.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
This whole HomeKit thing has taught a lot of lessons and broke many hearts. We laughed, we cried, blood was shed and we keep coming back for more. Fair Winds and Following Seas on this journey.

FWIW, I been using the MyQ HomeKit Hub for about six months and it’s been pretty solid. I have it paired to three LiftMaster ceiling mounted openers. Instructions are terrible and it was a pain in the ass to get it connected but no issues since. I previously was using the Insignia openers and sensors. Those were rock solid too, connection wise, but battery life on the sensors stunk. Had to be replaced every two months in my experience.

Also, going to a mesh network, eero pro in my case, substantially improved my HomeKit accessories’ connections.

fastbagger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2015
Odd I no longer have the MyQ hub connected but still shows HomeKit. When I go to delete shows this warning.

Attachments

• 710CAF56-19F6-4224-A03D-36F3A052AC61.png
    710CAF56-19F6-4224-A03D-36F3A052AC61.png
    807.2 KB · Views: 106

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
this is a big mistake that I think apple makes. I did the exact same thing thinking I was deleting the hub in lift master app but it's completely linked to give full control over HomeKit. I feel your pain!

I also just removed lift master from HomeKit shortly after as I had the garage open randomly several times.

fastbagger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2015
this is a big mistake that I think apple makes. I did the exact same thing thinking I was deleting the hub in lift master app but it's completely linked to give full control over HomeKit. I feel your pain!

I also just removed lift master from HomeKit shortly after as I had the garage open randomly several times.
Same thing I did. Was thinking to myself how could by removing the MyQ hub from the app wipe my HomeKit devices. Agree Apple should fix this should be able to upload the settings to iCloud. I no longer use MyQ I know what you are saying. My garage has opened by itself as well. Don't think is the MyQ app from what I researched I believe the garage opener wall unit somehow shorts and opens the garage overhead door. I have been using this for my remote control of my garage overhead works awesome.

https://www.meross.com/product/68/article/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.