Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I've installed the iOS8 GM. How do you use HomeKit? I understand it doesn't have a central app. I've tried asking Siri about it and she doesn't seem to understand.

EDIT: I've figured it out but can't delete the thread. HomeKit is a developer framework, not a user facing app. Devs will build apps and plug their devices via their apps into iOS using HomeKit. Siri will then understand how to manipulate those devices.

Last edited:

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
I've installed the iOS8 GM. How do you use HomeKit? I understand it doesn't have a central app. I've tried asking Siri about it and she doesn't seem to understand.

You don't, because there are no apps out for it yet. Wait until the public release.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Since we're on the topic, has anyone found apps that work with HomeKit? Allegedly, August SmartLock was made to work with HomeKit from v1.0 but I haven't received my lock yet so I can't test it.

The only other app that I know will work with HomeKit is Phillips Hue but it doesn't seem like they've updated their app for iOS 8 yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.