Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martens

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2019
Have HomePod gen 2 in bedroom lately I'll ask it to play a lengthy playlist, and after awhile, it starts pausing in the middle of a track, resuming several minutes later, or stopping entirely before playing the whole thing. The indicator is glowing as if it is playing something. Have tried Restart, it helps for awhile, but then reverts. Never had this issue until recently.

Have paired HomePod gen 1 and asked it to make a call. It said to check that my phone was on same WiFi network (it was). No that's a new issue too.

I think I'll try restarting the router.

I've always been confused by what it means to be 'on same WiFi network'. Same SSID? I have different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 bands, but both are 'known' to the HomePods and I don't seem to have any control over which they pick. And why would it matter which they pick?

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Apple recommends a single SSID

If you choose separate SSIDs, you'll want to configure your network to be flat (So all devices can see each other and mDNS/Bonjour traffic passes freely between ethernet, 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks).

martens

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2019
Thanks. I don't necessarily like common SSID because sometimes I need to coerce a device to switch to the other band, because signal is weak for the one it is connected to, and I like knowing which band it is connected to without logging in to the router and checking. But I am going to try it, and see how it works out.

All of the HomePods updated last night but still had same issue with the one, it keeps stalling out.

I may try moving the router a bit so it is not so close to a wall and door frame. Or set up a different one (probably with better specs) in a more favorable location. The location of the existing one is constrained by where the ISP cable comes in and desire to avoid having wires snaking around everywhere.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.