Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
My HomePod 2 temperature reading has consistently been 4-5 degrees Fahrenheit higher than my actual room temperature. I’ve tried placing it in different rooms in different spots, and it’s still consistently too high. For example, right now, my thermostat says it’s 62 degrees in my living room (which feels correct), but the HomePod says it’s 67 degrees.

Has anyone else been experiencing this issue?

Kenny99

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2018
ST. Louis, Mo.
Are you running the latest update for the HomePods? Also it takes a while for the temp and humidity readings to calibrate. It took mine 2 days.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
Are you running the latest update for the HomePods? Also it takes a while for the temp and humidity readings to calibrate. It took mine 2 days.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I’m on the latest update and have had it for over a week.

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
I would take the temperature reading with a pinch of salt....the sensor is somewhere within the HomePod, and the HomePod with generate a little bit of heat itself which will surely mess with the temp sensor a little bit.....also is your other temp sensor in the same area as the HomePod? rooms are not always the same temp throughout the same room....or not in my house anyway.

Reactions: ignatius345

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I would rather Apple just never added these sensors if they’re gonna be so inaccurate and have these inaccuracies show up in HomeKit.

Reactions: sparky672

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Mine seem close enough to what I expect them to be. One is upstairs in the same room as the upstairs thermostats, and they match within a degree. Another is in the kitchen, a room away from the main floor thermostat, and they read 2-3° together, which I think is close enough given they're in separate rooms. One is in the lower level where it tends to be a good 5° cooler than the rest of the house and is within 1-2° of a temp sensor in another room on that level.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
I would take the temperature reading with a pinch of salt....the sensor is somewhere within the HomePod, and the HomePod with generate a little bit of heat itself which will surely mess with the temp sensor a little bit.....also is your other temp sensor in the same area as the HomePod? rooms are not always the same temp throughout the same room....or not in my house anyway.
I would assume them to calibrate it for such a thing.

Reactions: sparky672

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I would assume them to calibrate it for such a thing.
Apparently not. Mine's high by about 4°F too. I set my ThermoWorks probe thermometer right next to it and let it sit for a while until it stabilized at 72°, and I got the same reading off an IR thermometer in the same immediate area of my kitchen. The HomePod Mini said it was 76°.

Let's also remember this sensor was present and not activated in software for, what, a couple years? Maybe they knew it was kind of approximate and someone at Apple decided later it was "close enough" to be useful in HomeKit. And perhaps it is! I just wish they would work in a calibration command in case you have a dedicated thermometer around.

Last edited:

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
I would rather Apple just never added these sensors if they’re gonna be so inaccurate and have these inaccuracies show up in HomeKit.

Exactly. Either it's well thought out and takes into account the internal heat generated by the device, or it's a pointless broken feature.

rooms are not always the same temp throughout the same room

Can't argue with that to some extent, but 4 or 5 degrees F is really a lot for the same room at approximately the same height. Generally, such large temperature differentials, called stratifications, are seen floor to ceiling.

See below...

I set my ThermoWorks probe thermometer right next to it and let it sit for a while until it stabilized at 72°, and I got the same reading off an IR thermometer in the same immediate area of my kitchen. The HomePod Mini said it was 76°.

Disappointing result for an Apple product.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.