Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samichang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2017
Hello,

Both of my HomePods 2nd Gen updated to 16.4.1. For some reason one of them become unresponsive after updating. I have tried resetting the HomePod, my router, and iPhone network settings but nothing helped. I get a "Unable to connect to Wifi" popup every time I try to set it up.

Any ideas?

Reactions: polyphenol

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Glad you posted that.

Had been using my sole HomePod mini fine for months. macOS 13.3.1 came along and the HomePod stopped working. I shrugged - expecting an update to the HomePod.

The 16.4.1 update for the HomePod came along and, yes, it still doesn't work.

I can see the device on the network. I can even connect Music to it and that works fine - so I know the hardware works. Siri will work. But I usually want to listen to things from my browser - and that doesn't work. Neither from Safari nor from Firefox. (The Music cuts out the moment I switch the general audio to the HomePod.)

I can listen to browser audio over the built-in tinny speakers of my M1 Mac mini. Or over Bluetooth to another speaker. And it says I can connect to the HomePod - and looks connected. But nothing comes out.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Just had the same (or very similar) issue with both my HomePods (v1).

I ended up going to.. Home App > Long Press HomePod > Accessory Details > Speakers (I have a stereo pair) > Long Press a HomePod > Verified my Wifi was still under "Wi-Fi Network". Tapped Reset HomePod > Restart HomePod.

Unplugging them and plugging them back in didn't work. However restarting them from in the app (not sure how they communicated this restart, BT I guess). The left HomePod restarted and worked fine, the right gave me the same issue so I did it again and then it worked.

Very odd...

Reactions: polyphenol

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Just had the same (or very similar) issue with both my HomePods (v1).

I ended up going to.. Home App > Long Press HomePod > Accessory Details > Speakers (I have a stereo pair) > Long Press a HomePod > Verified my Wifi was still under "Wi-Fi Network". Tapped Reset HomePod > Restart HomePod.

Unplugging them and plugging them back in didn't work. However restarting them from in the app (not sure how they communicated this restart, BT I guess). The left HomePod restarted and worked fine, the right gave me the same issue so I did it again and then it worked.

Very odd...
I have to admit, I simply couldn't be arsed to do much about it.

Yesterday, having used neither the Mac mini nor the HomePod mini for a few days, it was all working just fine.

Though it took much longer this time, more or less the same experience as after updates sometime last year.

MpKnapm

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2023
Hi, little late the party. I am experiencing this now with my Gen 2 Homepod. I've tried everything I can think off, any suggestions?

Samichang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2017
Hi, little late the party. I am experiencing this now with my Gen 2 Homepod. I've tried everything I can think off, any suggestions?
Try log into your WiFi router and reserve the IP address for each HomePod. And then reset your HomePods and setup them up again. Make sure your phone is connected to the same network that your HomePods will connect to. In my experience even switching between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz would mess up the HomePods. I hope you’ll get them working!

MpKnapm

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2023
Thanks for the reply! Yup tried and failed unfortunately. Ive separated the wifi so it only runs of 5Ghz now. I’ve even had a replacement from apple. Everything works on my WiFi fine apart from a darn HomePod. Anyone want to buy a new hompod 😂

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Couple of days ago all my HomePod minis disconnected from WiFi and now flatly refuse to connect to the network despite my phone, iPad, Mac, pc and consoles connecting and using it just fine.

Very confusing. I’ve tried removing and re-adding them.. even resetting to factory defaults I get the “cannot connect to WiFi” message. So confused.

Last edited:

MpKnapm

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2023
Couple of days ago all my HomePod minis disconnected from WiFi and now flatly refuse to connect to the network despite my phone, iPad, Mac, pc and consoles connecting and using it just fine.

Very confusing. I’ve tried removing and re-adding them.. even resetting to factory defaults I get the “cannot connect to WiFi” message. So confused.
Nothing works, ended up speaking to my broadband provider (sky) they sent me a new router. It’s been working fine ever since….. so far

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
One thing I've observed with my Minis is that they prefer 5GHz, but at 40MHz (not 80MHz) presumably due to the WiFi chipset. Apple states they support "802.11n" in the specs. Would there be any possibility your APs updated and 802.11n support got disabled somehow? It's a long shot... but if the iPhone will connect and the Mini's won't, it's a possibility.

One other thing to check is the WiFi authentication method (WPA2 Personal is what my network is set to). Hope this helps.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Nothing works, ended up speaking to my broadband provider (sky) they sent me a new router. It’s been working fine ever since….. so far
You’re with sky too? That’s.. curious! I have a sky fibre setup.. the thought of it being the router is pretty strange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.