Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chongchong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2023
After doing the latest HomeKit software update, I cannot get my two 2nd gen HomePods to sync volume. It will play in stereo pair mode, but each one of them requires separate volume adjustment.

I tried ungroupings, resettings, and I am now thinking this might be a bug. How do I fix this?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I’m sorry I don’t have a solution for you. You’re not the only one though.

Really just came here to say the HomePod engineering team is useless and should be placed on a permanent vacation.

Reactions: TonyC28

sMayn

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2013
After a LOT of digging I think the issue have been located.

The volume syncing issue almost always comes from issues with the WiFi.

I had the same problem after switching ISP and got a new router.
So I tried a ton of different solutions but have found a solution that I think will work for most.

Here are the things you have to do in this order:

1)
Go to your iPhone settings and reset network settings.
Settings > General > Transfer or reset iPhone > Reset > Reset network settings

2)
Reset your HomePods and your Apple TV
Leave them not set up yet.

3)
Reset your router to factory settings and create a WiFi network with a new name.
Preferably disable the WiFi 5G mode. But you can try leaving it enabled and see if it works.

4)
Connect your iPhone to the new WiFi you created.

5)
Set up your Apple TV. Completing the set up with your iPhone.

6)
Set up both HomePods and leave them as individual HomePods for now and not used as TV output.

7)
When they are set up. Pair them as a stereo pair and set them as default TV output.

8)
If the problem with HomePods volume syncing continues, the problem is most likely your router.
Get a new one and use that to create a WiFi.
I ended up using an old Apple AirPort Extreme. Works perfectly.

Hope this helps if you have problems.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
After a LOT of digging I think the issue have been located.

The volume syncing issue almost always comes from issues with the WiFi.

I had the same problem after switching ISP and got a new router.
So I tried a ton of different solutions but have found a solution that I think will work for most.

Here are the things you have to do in this order:

1)
Go to your iPhone settings and reset network settings.
Settings > General > Transfer or reset iPhone > Reset > Reset network settings

2)
Reset your HomePods and your Apple TV
Leave them not set up yet.

3)
Reset your router to factory settings and create a WiFi network with a new name.
Preferably disable the WiFi 5G mode. But you can try leaving it enabled and see if it works.

4)
Connect your iPhone to the new WiFi you created.

5)
Set up your Apple TV. Completing the set up with your iPhone.

6)
Set up both HomePods and leave them as individual HomePods for now and not used as TV output.

7)
When they are set up. Pair them as a stereo pair and set them as default TV output.

8)
If the problem with HomePods volume syncing continues, the problem is most likely your router.
Get a new one and use that to create a WiFi.
I ended up using an old Apple AirPort Extreme. Works perfectly.

Hope this helps if you have problems.
Very much appreciate the well detailed post and instructions. Don’t take what I’m about to say the wrong way. This is strictly a rant against Apple.

This is not a Wi-Fi or router issue. This is a HomePod issue. They suck as Home Hubs too. When all your devices are working fine on Wi-Fi except for one common device, it’s not the Wi-Fi. I perform speed tests right next to the HomePods while connected to the same node and everything looks good. I got two in stereo connected to an AppleTV staring at a hardwired eero node from 12-15’ away, line of sight and connected to that node. Still have this issue the OP describes.

HomePods are supposed to be an average consumer product that are supposed to just work without performing some crazy dance to the devil. It’s on Apple to make sure of that through software. How many times are we going to have to dance like this? It’s seemingly after every other update.

I’ve been using HomePods since they came out in 2018. I can probably count on one hand how many times an update just worked as advertised. These have been infested with bugs since day 1. Some, including myself, are very hesitant to even install an update.

Many of us have a very extensive HomeKit setup and setting up a new network will destroy that. It’s a nightmare. Now if only Apple could figure a way to let us do a HomeKit backup so we can fix the messes they create 🤔. A feature that’s been asked for, for quite some time but I digress. (yes, I know Controller for HomeKit has that but I tried it and it’s not very reliable).

This issue popped up for everyone after the latest update to 16.6. That’s the common denominator.

Once again, really appreciate you taking the time to figure it all out and to post this solution but it shouldn’t have to be this way. I’m not $hitting on you at all so please don’t take it that way for one minute. My beef is with Apple and their incompetent summer internship HomePod software team.

cagnew

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
I found two solutions that have resolved the issue for me in a reddit thread.

Solution 1- Open the Home app, Home Settings, Media, Sound Check and turn it off.

Solution 2 - Open the Home app, Home Settings, Speakers & TV, change to Everyone, and Require Password.

I'm not certain if both need to be used, or one so I used both solutions and I have not had a single volume or sync with my HomePod 2 or HomePod mini Stereo Pairs since I made this change about 6 weeks ago. I am using an Apple TV 4K 3rd Gen with HomePod OS 16.6 for my HomePod 2's and a an Apple TV 4K 3rd Gen with HomePod mini Public Beta 17.

Most people say that Solution 2 works for them.

I hope this will help others.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York

Solution 1- Open the Home app, Home Settings, Media, Sound Check and turn it off.

Solution 2 - Open the Home app, Home Settings, Speakers & TV, change to Everyone, and Require Password.

I'm not certain if both need to be used, or one so I used both solutions and I have not had a single volume or sync with my HomePod 2 or HomePod mini Stereo Pairs since I made this change about 6 weeks ago. I am using an Apple TV 4K 3rd Gen with HomePod OS 16.6 for my HomePod 2's and a an Apple TV 4K 3rd Gen with HomePod mini Public Beta 17.

Now we’re talking’… A workaround that doesn’t force you to nuke everything.

Apple still needs to get their heads out of their rectums tho.

chongchong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2023

Has this worked for a lot of people? It did not work for me in the first go, but I am "restarting" the HomePod 2s to see if it will take.

IDC_94

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2023
Has this worked for a lot of people? It did not work for me in the first go, but I am "restarting" the HomePod 2s to see if it will take.
Doing both #1 and #2 and restarting both the HomePods and Apple TV seems to have worked for now.

chongchong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2023
It still does not work for me. Apple broke the HP2 stereo pairs and seems to be in no hurry to fix it.

chongchong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2023
I just installed iOS 17 and tvOS 17. HP2 stereo pair now appears to work as expected.

mikie78787

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2023
I'm still getting the issue stereo pair volume issue, sporadically, the OP reported back in August. HomePod Gen 2's running 17.1.1 (21K82).

First time it happened i nuked the entire HomeKit setup and began again from square 1 (way OTT I know).

After this things were ok for about 2 weeks, then I noticed the left designated HomePod was stuck on a certain volume and wouldn't respond to volume adjustments via Apple TV remote control or iPhone. A simple Wi-Fi WAP restart fixed that occurrence.

Noticed the same issue again last night. WAP restart worked for about 5 mins then left HomePod reverted back to being uncontrolled.

This time via the Home app i specifically restarted the left HomePod (not the whole stereo pair), and bizarrely since that, it's been behaving.

I'll continue to monitor. But the whole platform is incredibly unstable, I now find myself checking the volume a few times each day to see if it's occurred again o_O

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.