Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcmc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Hi,

So I have been running HomePods in my bedroom successfully for a number of months now, firstly a single one and then adding a second to create a stereo pairing. However this past week or so I am seeing a repeated issue in which I ask for something and am told I need to sign into my Apple Music account (I actually use iTunes Music Match).

This means I have to open my iPad, go to the Home app and find I have to sign back into my iTunes account to continue. This repeats roughly daily.

Anyone experienced this issue and have a solution?

Thanks,

C.

Reactions: Ted13 and burgman

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
I haven’t experienced this. But if it were me I’d sign out of iTunes completely and sign back in. If that didn’t work the. I’d do it again and also reset my HomePods to factory settings. Recently I couldn’t buy anything on my iPad. It kept asking for my cvv number. Every time it entered it it wouldn’t take. So finally fixed it by signing out of iTunes and logging back in. It works perfectly again.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
I've had mine asking on the different HomePods all the time for this. I have 6 HomePods across 3 stereo pairs. They keep doing this randomly and now with 12.2 my stereo pairing is broken.

Apple engineers are aware of both and have captured logs. But the hardware is amazing. The software, is absolute horse $#!@. I've opened this up with senior support and pointed their relations team to this as I've never had so many issues with their software since I can remember. And yes I've tried resets and all the sort.

Disappointing

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Got me one stereo pair, no issues whatsoever. Using Apple Music on loads of devices...

Hope this stuff gets fixed fast for you guys. Nothing more frustrating than stuff like this.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Engineering came back yesterday wanting more diagnostic information. They started to point to my home wifi but when I said I had a 3TB Timecapsule (also an apple product), you could tell this irritated them and didn't let them off the hook. So the only piece in the puzzle not theirs is the Modem that doesn't have the Wifi turned on and is merely a means of converting the signal from my ISP from coax to ethernet.

I put the ball back in their court and said can the engineers confirm they have set 3 devices (iPhone XS and 2 HomePods all already on 12.2) up from scratch and get the stereo pair functioning correctly. If that is the case then we will know there is something in my environment. But instead I am told engineering doesn't communicate to customers. I said how then do they come back to you requesting additional information if they are unable to provide information to the customer.

This is where Apple falls flat on it's face with policy and lack of forethought. Let's establish a baseline of what I'm trying to do and if they get it to work we know the baseline to be true. If it fails, nothing further is needed from the customer. I hate games.

ibarnett

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Gold Coast, Australia
Hi,

So I have been running HomePods in my bedroom successfully for a number of months now, firstly a single one and then adding a second to create a stereo pairing. However this past week or so I am seeing a repeated issue in which I ask for something and am told I need to sign into my Apple Music account (I actually use iTunes Music Match).

This means I have to open my iPad, go to the Home app and find I have to sign back into my iTunes account to continue. This repeats roughly daily.

Anyone experienced this issue and have a solution?

Thanks,

C.
Yes, I have this problem.
Started to appear about the same time as yours.
I have just put another Aimesh node closer to the pods to rectify. However it happened again this morning.

jcmc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Just coming back to this thread following a similar one started on Reddit by someone else experiencing this issue. An early reply to the thread reckoned it was to do with having a different Apple ID for your iTunes and your iCloud. That was the case for me, for the thread starter and a dozen or so other people.

For those of you experiencing this issue, is this also your set up?

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Yes, this is also my setup as well. Apple refuses to let me have a apple email address with this account. I've read that perhaps in setting up a new Mac you could create a new ID with your email address at the time and turn the Apple ID into a Apple Email. But I think you need a device at the new setup to do that.

ibarnett

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Gold Coast, Australia
Just coming back to this thread following a similar one started on Reddit by someone else experiencing this issue. An early reply to the thread reckoned it was to do with having a different Apple ID for your iTunes and your iCloud. That was the case for me, for the thread starter and a dozen or so other people.

Yes, this is my setup as well.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC

Yes, mine also. My iCloud, Messages, etc. is a different Apple ID from the one I use for iTunes, Apps and Developer Account. It also started happening around the same time as for you (March). Coincidently or not, the problem coincided with my having to turn on 2 factor authentication for the iTunes account, because they forced everyone to do it for their Developer Apple ID.
2FA on my iCloud Apple ID had been on for a long time. Indeed, before turning on the iTunes Apple ID I tried to have them move my Developer account to my iCloud Apple ID, but that is not an option.

Could you please send a link to the Reddit thread also?

Upgraded everything to iOS 12.3, no change - still happening once a day.
[doublepost=1557962664][/doublepost]And yes, my HomePods are also a stereo pair, have been since day one of Stereo pairing existing.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
Bug still there with iOS 12.3.1 (iPhone/iPad only - HomePod is still at 12.3) but now, instead of seeing the AppleID login error on the Home app, after a Siri request the HomePod stereo pair will start playing what was request, and then stop playing a few seconds later.

If you don't bother to switch to playing via AirPlay 2, it will periodically restart your original request, and again cut it off after a few seconds.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
OK, the combination with the iOS 12.3.1 login to bug change with pulling the plugs on the HomePods and rebooting them fixed it - Siri is working fine now,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.