Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ivanpasic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
Does anyone have a similar problem or know if there is a solution? I am on my home network and all my devices are on the same network. Yet I am getting this message on all of them. I have had this issue intermittently before but it seems to have gotten worse since iOS/tvOS 16.4 and MacOS 13.3.

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 8.50.02 AM.png

rtkane

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2010
I had one doing this. I removed it from home under "reset HomePod", let it reset and re-added it back after a few minutes, which resolved it. Good luck fixing it!

MooseChuckle

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2022
I've had the same issue and have already reset once, and about 4-5 days later it happened AGAIN. Anyone else this didn't work for??

curdy

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
BC, Canada
Had this happen today on all my HomePods (5) and HomePod Minis (2). Only thing that seemed to fix it was to reboot my modem/router. Confirmed before this that all HomePods were on the same and only network I have. Also had the notifications says all HomeHubs were not responding in the top right corner of the Home app.

WilkoRam79

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2023
Has anyone found a fix for this? I’m still having this issue after restarting all my HomePod minis and my router

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
99% of the time this is a router (AP) configuration issue. Start there.

All WiFi bands should have the same SSID and password. Ethernet and all WiFi bands should be treated as a flat network with device/AP isolation disabled (consult your network equipment documentation if you're not sure how to check this) and the network equipment should allow mDNS/Bonjour to traverse the network freely.

The free Discovery iOS app is useful for identifying potential network protocol issues as well. Hope this helps.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
The free Discovery iOS app is useful for identifying potential network protocol issues as well. Hope this helps.

Can you provide a link to this? When I search the App Store I only get various apps for Discovery Channel and an app called Discovery for "Discovery Health", which has nothing to do with computer networks. Thanks.

Last edited:

ivanpasic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
Had this happen today on all my HomePods (5) and HomePod Minis (2). Only thing that seemed to fix it was to reboot my modem/router. Confirmed before this that all HomePods were on the same and only network I have. Also had the notifications says all HomeHubs were not responding in the top right corner of the Home app.
Yes rebooting the router fixes the issue for me...temporarily.

ivanpasic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
99% of the time this is a router (AP) configuration issue. Start there.

All WiFi bands should have the same SSID and password. Ethernet and all WiFi bands should be treated as a flat network with device/AP isolation disabled (consult your network equipment documentation if you're not sure how to check this) and the network equipment should allow mDNS/Bonjour to traverse the network freely.

I too believe this is related to mesh networks, but cannot solely be blamed on the routers. The issue has not consistently appeared for me over the past year. It is now far worse than a few months ago. I did not change anything about my network configuration, but have upgraded all my devices to the latest version of iOS/MacOS etc.

Another strange thing I noticed on my devices since iOS 16.3 and iOS16.4 is that if this screen if left on long enough it will switch back and forth between saying alarms are not accessible and actually displaying the alarms.

In my network all WiFi bands have the same SSID and password. Unfortunately I am using a modem/router supplied by my ISP and don't have the ability to modify options such as AP/client isolation.

ivanpasic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
This. 👆

Such a common scenario that it must be taken into consideration during design and programming.
Agree. I am looking around several sites and discussion groups (here, Reddit etc) and am certainly not alone in experiencing this issue. Apple should test their ecosystem with various routers and situations…

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Unfortunately I am using a modem/router supplied by my ISP and don't have the ability to modify options such as AP/client isolation.
Understood. I think what makes HomeKit better than competing platforms for many people is that there's no "round trip" to the cloud required for local control. This is better for latency, privacy and reliability. You can still use the Home app to control accessories, and automations will still run, even if the internet (ISP) is down. But that configuration also requires these local devices be able to communicate with each other on the network.

Isolation may not even be the issue here - hard to tell without knowing more about the modem/router. I've heard that ISP-provided gear can get a little unstable with a lot of devices connected just because they're not beefy enough.

I put my ISP modem in bridge mode, with DHCP and WiFi disabled. Then installed my own networking gear. And for the most part, my HomeKit setup is pretty reliable.

ivanpasic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
Understood. I think what makes HomeKit better than competing platforms for many people is that there's no "round trip" to the cloud required for local control. This is better for latency, privacy and reliability. You can still use the Home app to control accessories, and automations will still run, even if the internet (ISP) is down. But that configuration also requires these local devices be able to communicate with each other on the network.

Isolation may not even be the issue here - hard to tell without knowing more about the modem/router. I've heard that ISP-provided gear can get a little unstable with a lot of devices connected just because they're not beefy enough.

I put my ISP modem in bridge mode, with DHCP and WiFi disabled. Then installed my own networking gear. And for the most part, my HomeKit setup is pretty reliable.
Would love the ability to put my modem into bridge mode but again my ISP doesn't allow it. I am with this company since they provide multi-giga speeds and are otherwise reliable but there are a few cons.

Sverkel

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
Denmark
I know the thread is old but I recently experienced this and have found a solution that I want to share in case it might help others in one way or another.

I solved this error by going into the Wi-Fi settings on my iPhone and selecting the network I'm connected to. In there, Apple has by default set a private Wi-Fi address and Restriction of IP tracking, probably for good reasons, but when I turned these off it solved the problem with my Homepod Minis.

My guess is that because Apple hides my private Wi-Fi address and restrict IP tracking, my iPhone can't find out that they are on the same network.

I previously turned these 2 options off but it seems like they are turned back on automatically every time Apple issues an iOS update.

I hope this will be helpfull to someone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.