Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
So I'm in a weird situation. I have my personal Apple ID and all my devices but I have a small business for which I made a separate Apple ID for all the Apple stuff we use.

Now I got a homepod and didn't realize it has to have 2FA to work and setup.

But I don't want to use my number for the business 2FA (actually I don't think I even can since the number is on my personal Apple ID).

I don't want to setup the homepod under my personal Apple ID as I like to keep personal and business stuff separate and several ppl at work will be using the homepod to stream from their computers.

So I wasn't sure what to do here. What I came up with was to temporarily associate my number with the business Apple ID, get the homepod setup, then remove my number from the business acct and put it back to my acct.

Is this doable? After I setup the homepod can I simply turn off 2FA on the business acct and expect the homepod to still work for streaming music etc ? I don't really care about Siri and was planning ok turning it off

Also open to any other ideas around this!

Thanks!

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
especially if you're going to turn siri off,

look at sonos, the base model speakers are a bit cheaper than HomePod
--$179 for no voice assistant
-- $199 with voice
-- $99 if you get the one from Ikea, it still sounds good, and unless you really crank your office music, it would work great.
and the 2 sonos versions do go on sale from time to time for less.
they connect to all music sources (Apple Music, Spotify, pandora, and a ton more) , and play back from the speaker itself. so you don't have to worry about playing music from your phone, and then having the music cut off if you leave.
all 3 versions I listed support airplay2, so you can still send from airplay if you want.

you have the option of using wired ethernet with the speakers, so you don't use wireless bandwidth for music.
if you wire one speaker, they will make their own wireless mesh network.

They have apps for windows, Mac, android, and iOS.
So anyone on any of those platforms can control the music. (there is no password option, so anyone who has the app, and is on the same network can control) no shared apple account needed.
You could choose music from your computer, then pause it or change volume from your phone. or the secretary could also change settings as needed, Multi device control like that does not exist with HomePod.

the speaker grouping works much better than HomePod.
you can group 2 speakers into a stereo pair. or put out a bunch of mono speakers, your choice.

if you've got set office hours, you can make alarms that auto timeout.
You can set "Play ___ playlist, weekdays at 8am for 9 hours" so your music would start and stop automatically.

it also works with ifttt, so you can add other automations.

and, no two factor needed.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Create a google mail account and a google voice phone number and use that number. Just have to access it once a year or so to keep it active.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.