Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Anyone else looking for simplified or different control around the lower end of volume? I never get the device above 6 clicks from zero. 12 is just way too loud, and 16 is way too much.

I get they don't want people to think the device can't get loud, but our homepod's first three steps of volume seems to big of a jump to me.

Sometimes I'm working early in the morning and am looking for half or even quarter steps than what are currently offered.

I think the only way to get there is to play from another device and then try to manually adjust the volume slider in smaller increments. Is that right? This doesn't work well because it these sliders also aren't easy to do small adjustments to.

I had this exact problem with the UE Boom in 2013. Logitech addressed it with a firmware update that gave it "more nuanced control of the sound levels."

I think the difference is not to offer linear changes in the first few clicks.

Reactions: jjjjjooooo

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
When I play music to the HomePod speakers from iTunes on my iMac, the volume control (slider control at the top of the iTunes window) allows the volume to be adjusted with what seems to me to be a great deal of sensitivity, and after reading your post and thinking about it I believe that this is probably more flexible than the controls at the top of the HomePod speakers themselves, which as you say may be going from one discrete volume level to another and not providing a linear range of volumes from zero to max.

The lowest level that the speakers can be controlled to in this way is very low indeed, down to barely discernible but still not fully silenced.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
When I play music to the HomePod speakers from iTunes on my iMac, the volume control (slider control at the top of the iTunes window) allows the volume to be adjusted with what seems to me to be a great deal of sensitivity, and after reading your post and thinking about it I believe that this is probably more flexible than the controls at the top of the HomePod speakers themselves, which as you say may be going from one discrete volume level to another and not providing a linear range of volumes from zero to max.

The lowest level that the speakers can be controlled to in this way is very low indeed, down to barely discernible but still not fully silenced.
Ah, ya I usually want to play from my iPhone. Reason is I’m often working and don’t want iTunes running during computer sessions.

The you just have the up and down buttons or trying to adjust the iPhone slider using touch which is pretty weak. You can’t even do that thing w seek where the farther from the slider the more minute the adjustment.

Libertine82

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2016
Hi, you can ask her to set it at say 12% or any increment you like, when you hit + it goes up in increments of 5 from what I can tell.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Hi, you can ask her to set it at say 12% or any increment you like, when you hit + it goes up in increments of 5 from what I can tell.
Ha I just tried setting it to 7% twice. Once to the homepod and once to my iPhone and it hears 70% both times. So I don’t think that is going to do it

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I think the product team just needs to make it a non linear adjustment in volume changes by button control in the first 3rd to half of the range. The 9-16 volume settings are useless to me 99% of the time.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
I counted 16 volume levels in the Apple Music app, and 20 levels on the HomePod itself.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I just realized if you play through your iPhone to Homepod, you can adjust the volume using the digital crown of the Watch. That allows pretty discrete, small adjustments at the low end of the volume. Still a bit touchy, but way better than the increments offered by the iPhone.

So homepod low volume adjustment can be done and convenient. You just need all things apple. :]

Reactions: artfossil

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I just realized if you play through your iPhone to Homepod, you can adjust the volume using the digital crown of the Watch. That allows pretty discrete, small adjustments at the low end of the volume. Still a bit touchy, but way better than the increments offered by the iPhone.

So homepod low volume adjustment can be done and convenient. You just need all things apple. :]

Let’s be honest, though: HomePod is designed to be voice-activated the majority of the time. So just ask Siri to set the volume to whatever percentage you need.

Reactions: cynics

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Let’s be honest, though: HomePod is designed to be voice-activated the majority of the time. So just ask Siri to set the volume to whatever percentage you need.

I was thinking this as well but assumed that was already tried due to obviousness...?

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I was thinking this as well but assumed that was already tried due to obviousness...?
The whole point is to be quiet and not make extra noise. I'm say listening to boards of canada or beck's morning phase at 6am on a saturday and there is no desire to hear my own voice calling out volume change requests while I try to get it right.

As I mentioned, setting the homepod volume to 6% or 7% and she hears 60 or 70% and then we have a problem. The music is now way, way too loud has disturbed folks and I am yelling to get her to turn it down which also fails.

Regardless of its ability to comprehend me, I don't like voice commands all the time for homekit stuff. I've found that for light control, asking siri out loud for some common is not preferable a good portion of the time. That's why there are physical buttons and motion sensors that integrate w homekit.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
The whole point is to be quiet and not make extra noise. I'm say listening to boards of canada or beck's morning phase at 6am on a saturday and there is no desire to hear my own voice calling out volume change requests while I try to get it right.

As I mentioned, setting the homepod volume to 6% or 7% and she hears 60 or 70% and then we have a problem. The music is now way, way too loud has disturbed folks and I am yelling to get her to turn it down which also fails.

Regardless of its ability to comprehend me, I don't like voice commands all the time for homekit stuff. I've found that for light control, asking siri out loud for some common is not preferable a good portion of the time. That's why there are physical buttons and motion sensors that integrate w homekit.

If you’re having trouble saying 6% or 7%, pause after the number. For reference, I have no issue with this command at regular speaking speeds.

For you, try this:

Hey Siri, set the volume to SEVEN....(pause) percent.

Try that.

Other than that, use your phone to adjust the volume with the slider bar.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Topping this only because I still find Homepod too difficult to control at low volumes, manually or via voice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.