Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CJ Dorschel

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2019
Berlin
I have a number of HomePods and have only updated a few for the new features but have kept two on their original firmware as I recall Apple removed the bass and aura tones that made the original releases such great speakers. (Attached an article about it).

I've been hesitant to update them to HomePodOS as I don’t want to lose the sound and have tried to compare the updated ones with the original ones but it’s impossible as the sound balances off one another and it’s difficult to isolate the two.

Has Apple improved the bass notes since updating from HomePodOS 11.4.3 to 14.1? I know 12.x was the firmware that removed the sound effects as some complained the bass was too high (PFFT!). Aside from using a third party music app equalizer (which isn’t the same, I’ve tried), Apple doesn’t allow users to directly control the sound.

Thanks for any help!

MiamiC70

Suspended
Oct 16, 2011
Bass alone does NOT make a speaker "great". The purpose of any speaker is to reproduce the original source material accurately. You want Bass get a sub because you sure as heck were never getting it from the 7" driver in a HomePod.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Bass alone does NOT make a speaker "great". The purpose of any speaker is to reproduce the original source material accurately. You want Bass get a sub because you sure as heck were never getting it from the 7" driver in a HomePod.

You speak for yourself. The HomePod has got a reputation for being ‘over-bassy’. Mine sits on a wooden cupboard and the base from it is mental. I wish I could turn it down

CJ Dorschel

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2019
Berlin

I realize that. My remark was regarding the sound in general not just the bass. I have a McIntosh system with B&W speaks in my home theater in berlin with an 8K OLED. I’m well aware

the question is regarding the OVERALL sound quality.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
I realize that. My remark was regarding the sound in general not just the bass. I have a McIntosh system with B&W speaks in my home theater in berlin with an 8K OLED. I’m well aware

the question is regarding the OVERALL sound quality.

What you are asking is completely subjective, but, in my opinion the HomePod still sounds incredible albeit a little bit too bass-heavy for me at times.

Reactions: CJ Dorschel

MiamiC70

Suspended
Oct 16, 2011
I unpaired them, logged out of my apple ID on each, rest them and then repaired them and seemed to help quite a bit.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009

This is 2020. The old paradigms about size of woofer etc don't apply when you are talking about heavily DSP'ed, beam forming, 360 degree speakers. What old school speaker do you know of that has seven tweeters? The HomePod woofer doesn't even work like a normal woofer.
I've had HomePods since day one and always thought they were too bass and even boomy for the type of music I listen to and not enough mid-range causing loss of detail. I think Apple tuned them for hip-hop and rap leaving the rest of us out on sound quality. I'm loving the changes in the new firmware, toned down the bass and added mid-range bringing detail back. They sound very close to my Sonos Five speakers that cost much more. I just ordered two roe HomePods because of it and returned two Five's I had just bought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.