Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mhoskin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2020
My HomePod died after 20 months. I think it bricked itself during the 14.01 update. But Apple claims the power supply went belly up. Now they want $279 to fix it.

Any advice on what to do? I think it sucks that Apple won't stand by their product. In my view they pushed an update to the speaker and killed it during the update process. In their view the power supply went toast and it's just the luck of the draw. Either way, 20 months? Really? Apple this is the trash you are making now and the way you are treating your customers?

Anyone want to buy it off me for parts?

• Sad
Reactions: jbachandouris

mhoskin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2020
I'll try that. I've used Apple products for decades. Not standing by a product they made (or killed with a firmware update) is shoddy.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
If you didn't buy AppleCare, but used a credit card, maybe the card has a "double the warranty period" benefit? Mine claims to.

I own nine of these, all less than a year old. I hope they don't start failing after a couple of years or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.