Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NZLou

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
About a year ago my HomePod started making some random clicks. I thought it might be something to do with electrical interference. When I first contacted Apple it was two months after my Applecare expired and all stores were closed due to COVID. Then about a month after I contacted Apple it sounded like my HomePod soiled itself (See video). When I finally made an appointment at the Apple Store and was told by the Genius my only recourse was to sell it or throw it away. The non-warranty replacement cost as much as a new one! Now I have a $300 paperweight, would have thought there was some middle ground. Not sure how widespread it is but there is definitely a problem. My advice if you hear a click get a hold of Apple immediately.

Attachments

• IMG_0703.mov
    10.3 MB · Views: 66

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I haven’t experienced this but there was a thread about this very thing a couple months ago

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
This is how we know this product stinks and apple acknowledges it. Honestly, Apple isn't standing behind their products like they used to and when I dealt with relations department a couple weeks ago the said they wouldn't do anything for another product of theirs as they made an exception when Apple bricked 9 of my HomePods with thier $hitty iOS 13.2 update and had to replace all my HomePods. "Made an exception". No joke, you caused the flipping mess Apple.

Anyways, I've been selling my HomePods off left and right and have since moved over to Sonos. Don't miss worthless Siri either. 2/3 of the time she gets it wrong or says there is an error anyways. So the smart speaker is out so that leaves speaker. Sonos sounds tons better.

Reactions: NZLou

NZLou

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
...or more than a new one, since you can grab them on sale in the US sometimes for $199.
True, however after the lackluster experience with the previous one will probably hold off. Less of a need at this point in time. Just miffed I'm out $300!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.