Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
With the upcoming release of the HomePod Mini, I'm thinking to finally get a HomePod into the bathroom. (I know people have done this with the full-sized HomePods, but I was not brave enough to do that with mine.) I've also skimmed the thread about HomePod colors, noting that nobody remarked on their white HomePod discoloring. But I want to combine the two topics: has anyone been using their white HomePod in the bathroom (or in another high-humidity area) and noticed any issues with discoloration (particularly any yellowing)?

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
I personally would not put a HomePod in my bathroom or shower room for several reasons:

Bathrooms/Shower rooms are too small for a full size HomePod.
NO power points in my bathrooms to plug anything into. (other than a shaver style plug).
HomePods are too good a speaker to place in a bathroom/shower room for background music while in the shower.
The acoustics of bathrooms/shower rooms are generally not the best.

I have however bought a portable bluetooth speaker (years ago) for use in the bathroom/shower room which is more than up to the job for my house/family. (MPOW Armor Plus bluetooth speaker).

This is just my thoughts/opinion for bathroom use.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I have however bought a portable bluetooth speaker (years ago) for use in the bathroom/shower room which is more than up to the job for my house/family. (MPOW Armor Plus bluetooth speaker).
Thanks, I appreciate it the thoughts. I've been using a Bluetooth speaker that is splash-resistant to some degree for a few years, but it would be so much more convenient to be able to adjust volume and songs by voice. (I keep the speaker by the sink, rather than in the shower, and don't have physical access to it.) I was really hoping Apple would release a more rugged HomePod, but the HomePod mini's price point makes me feel a bit better about bringing it into the bathroom and taking the risk.

As I've been looking up this topic, there are a fair number of people who have brought their HomePods (full-sized) into the bathroom and who have not had any trouble. People don't generally remark on how well-ventilated their bathrooms are, though, which is really the key detail to know. Apple's specifications for the HomePod state it can go up to 90% humidity (non-condensing); I have one bathroom where moisture does not build up on the mirror (my intended bathroom for the HomePod mini), and another where it does (riskier and probably outside of Apple's specifications).

So that all reassured me that the HomePod can probably do OK in the bathroom. The HomePod mini is an unknown but I'm assuming it's similar. The next question is about that cloth coating... I have one HomePod of each color, and prefer the white, in general (which would also match my bathroom better). But if it develops yellow stains or spots from moisture, the black would be a better choice so as to hide those discolorations. That's where the question comes from.

If nobody really knows, I guess I'll go off of what everyone has been saying about the white not discoloring for them under normal circumstances and be the guinea pig...

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I have a HomePod in my master bathroom. It gets very humid in there during a shower even with the ceiling exhaust fan running and I don’t have any issues with it so far. Not sure how white will do in the long term but all my HomePods are in Space Gray and I don’t see an issue with it discoloring. It all depends on the size of the bathroom and what you need it for. My master bathroom is HomeKit automated just because I’m a geek when it comes to this stuff lol. I have a HomeKit TV in there that I send audio to the HomePod, a towel warmer hooked up to a smart plug, my lights, exhaust fan/ceiling heater are hooked up to lutron switches, Aqara temp/humidity, light Lux, motion sensor controlling automations, etc. In my office (aka master bathroom) the HomePod sees a lot of action lol. Music, taking calls, setting scenes, TV audio... Was thinking to put a Mini in there but not sure it will be enough HomePod. I’m not even exaggerating lol.

malcky77 makes a good point about outlets. Just had my bathroom redone and specifically asked the contractors to add a few in strategic places with GFCI. Generally, that could be an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.