Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slagathor001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
Can we expect some basic functionality that we don't have now? Such as; phone calls, audiobooks, etc.

Are there any rumors? There seems to be so many basic functions that siri does on all other devices, but not on Homepod. And I'm talking basic functions that dont need a screen.

Also - Hopefully the update makes homepod connecting to a mac better. Its not even worth it now, because there's a delay. That among other macOS problems with homepod I hope are addressed in June

Bdub12

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Fredericton NB Canada
Well, HomePod was listed as a development platform at WWDC. Hopefully that means we get some third party audio apps. I'm hoping for SiriusXM and iHeartradio. Both are supported by CarPlay, so it's not really a huge leap of faith to assume they'll be on HomePod eventually.

It would be cool to have an automation where you could say "Hey Siri, good morning" and it would tune into your favourite radio station in addition to turning on lights, unlocking doors, etc.

slagathor001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
Yeah totally agree!

Have to imagine they'll announce some stuff brought up in this thread at WWDC in June

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
Realistically, the only thing we can expect for certain without setting ourselves up for disappointment is AirPlay 2 and all the added functionality that comes with it. My guess is that Apple reannounces that at WWDC and market it as an iOS 12/macOS 10.14 feature (if it were to come before that, then they probably would have announced it altogether with iOS 11.4 already which I'd guess will be the last big iOS update before iOS 12). And AirPlay 2 alone is a big feature; I hope it finally eradicates the annoying delay when streaming from other devices (reduced delay has been announced for AirPlay 2 but it's hard to say from that how much they have reduced it).

Siri improvements would be my next guess. I'm not expecting Apple to completely revamp her in a single iteration, but right now she has some glaring deficits that shouldn't even be that hard to work on, so it's a realistic guess that Apple will continually try to improve her over the next years.

Other than that I wouldn't get my hopes up for any too exciting new features. I suppose Apple will gradually implement some of the features that the iPhone can do but the HomePod can't (looking up/creating events in the calendar, making phone calls right from the HomePod, that kind of stuff), but other than that, I don't expect any big new functionality anytime soon (at least not this year) because otherwise Apple would have probably announced it with the HomePod release to make the product more appealing. Maybe next year, but for this year we probably know most of what is to come.

slagathor001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
Yeah, I'm not expecting "exciting new" features. I'm just talking about basic features that Siri is already capable of

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.