Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
I’m sure this has already been discussed, but can you help a naive guy out...

I have an LG CX connected to a Bose Soundbar via HDMI.

I see with the LG I can connect a Bluetooth speaker but only with the TV sound, not Soundbar.

Is it possible to have my current setup with the Soundbar but add two HomePods, maybe by using AirPlay?

I just can’t see an option in the LG menu for HDMI Soundbar + AirPlay speakers.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I think that's a bad idea because of the sound signature of the speakers (each brand has it's own). Either:

1. Use your existing setup TV to Bose Soundbar via HDMI (great if you have multiple sources)

or

2. Buy an Apple TV, one or two home pods and use home theatre mode from Apple TV to the speakers (Dolby Atmos) and use the Bose for the other sources. As far as I am aware, unlike the Echo Studio, the Homepod has no line in.

Reactions: Domdog31

Domdog31

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
I have a soundbar (optical) to my LG. The sound is superior to even two OG homepods - I am having trouble finding use cases where I would want to use the homepods over the sound bar for home theater use.

Now I do not like the way the sound bar plays music - so for automation / Siri / music the home pods win.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.