Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mirzadelic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2016
HomePod Mini as hub and location issue

I need help with Apple Homepod Mini. I was using Apple TV as hub but I wanted to switch to new HomePod Mini, but there is no option for that.
I removed home and tried to add only HomePod Mini and then setup as hub but still no luck.
Also, there is one more problem, when I ask “Hey Siri, what’s weather?” HomePod doesn’t recognize location but asks me to say which location, and on settings location service is on.

Video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/XbQqqAJbXDqY8X4e9

Any solution for these issues?
Reseting HomePod Mini to factory didn’t help.

HomePod Mini version: 15.3
iPhone iOS version: 15.3

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
You gotta just ride the wave and hopefully it will be fixed in the next update. There are quite a few threads in here outlining what a nightmare HomePod software has been with HomePodOS 15.

Welcome to the suck.

Reactions: Bl0ckHe1d

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
HomePod Mini as hub and location issue

I need help with Apple Homepod Mini. I was using Apple TV as hub but I wanted to switch to new HomePod Mini, but there is no option for that.
I removed home and tried to add only HomePod Mini and then setup as hub but still no luck.
Also, there is one more problem, when I ask “Hey Siri, what’s weather?” HomePod doesn’t recognize location but asks me to say which location, and on settings location service is on.

Any solution for these issues?
Reseting HomePod Mini to factory didn’t help.

HomePod Mini version: 15.3
iPhone iOS version: 15.3
Have you disabled the Apple TV's hub settings on the Apple TV? https://www.imore.com/homekit-home-hub

Reactions: dotme

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Something seems off in that video.

They moved Location Services in the Home app to the "Home Settings" screen with a recent iOS update so I don't understand why it would still appear under the individual HomePod settings for you (unless with only one HomePod, that's where it still lives). Can you double-check your iOS version on that device?

Here's a full checklist on Location Services and Personal Requests with HomePod (Set these on your iOS device). Hope it helps.

• Settings > Privacy > Location Services > On
  • Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Homekit > On
  • Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Find My iPhone > On
  • Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Significant Locations > On
  • Settings > {name/photo} > iCloud > Siri > On
  • Settings > {name/photo} > Find My > My Location > This Device
  • Settings > {name/photo} > Find My > My Location > Share My Location > On
  • Settings > {name/photo} > Password & Security > Two-Factor Authentication > On
  • Home App > Home Settings > {name/photo} > Recognize My Voice > On
  • Home App > Home Settings > {name/photo} > Personal Requests > Each HomePod > On
  • Home App > Home Settings > {name/photo} > Personal Requests > Activity Notifications > Off
  • Home App > Home Settings > Location Services > On
  • Each AppleTV > Settings > Location Services > On

mirzadelic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2016
That was weird to me also, because in other posts I see that they are looking in another place for location. And I got 2 mini pods(waited for these new colors) and wanted to use them in stereo mode, but then tried with both minis to do this and both are working the same and on the latest 15.3 version.
For iOS 15.3, the latest version on iPhone and iPod.

Btw, I did also restore with mac, connecting homepod mini to mac and doing a restore, so that should update to the latest version and reset everything.

IMG_8896.PNG

Checked all yours settings, all are fine except I am using Personal Request as off, but I tried with on, still the same.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Well that's frustrating. As another poster mentioned, you can't (at this time) designate a specific HomePod as a HomeKit hub, but you can disable hub functionality in AppleTVs, which has the result of only allowing HomePods to be hubs (Note - if you happen to own an iPad, I personally recommend disabling Hub functionality on that as well).

If you ask your HomePod "Hey Siri, Who Am I?" does it know who you are?

mirzadelic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2016
I tried disabling it on Apple TV, and on iPad, that option is not enabled from start.
It says that it's sound like me :)

I will probably need to wait for a new update for the HomePod minis. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.