Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nekomichi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
My current setup consists of an AirPort Extreme (operating on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz modes) and two HomePod Mini (not in a stereo pair), previously this setup worked fine but due to various reasons I've had to set the AirPort Extreme to a hidden SSID and suddenly both HomePods no longer work, does anyone know of any solutions?

After setting to a hidden SSID, both HomePods immediately disappeared from the AirPlay menu on my phone. In the Home app they display different status messages depending on which frequency band my phone is connected to. My phone connects just fine to either hidden network and I made sure to move my phone to the hidden networks before attempting to move the HomePods via the Home app.
  • If my phone is connected to 2.4GHz, it just says "no response" on both devices with no option to do anything.
  • If my phone is connected to 5GHz, it says This HomePod is on the "AirPort Extreme" Wi-Fi network, which is different to the network this iPhone is on. Move HomePod to "AirPort Extreme 5GHz", but absolutely nothing happens if I tap on the highlighted orange text that says "Move HomePod".
I've tried restarting both HomePods, my AirPort Extreme, and my phone but it didn't fix anything. I noticed that when unplugging and re-plugging both HomePods, neither of their LED panels lit up during up boot process even though they normally should.

My phone is running iOS 17.0.3, unfortunately I can't check what OS version the speakers are running because they are perpetually stuck in an unresponsive state. I also tried moving the HomePods to the hidden network using an iPad running iPadOS 17.0.2 and the same happens.

Factory resetting is not an option because the Internet service at my house is semi-permanently down and HomePods require an Internet connection to set up.

Last edited:

Nekomichi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Update: After switching the AirPort Extreme back to non-hidden, one of the HomePods has correctly reconnected and works. Bizarrely, the other HomePod has suddenly locked itself onto a different Wi-Fi network elsewhere in the house, one that my phone isn't even paired with. As expected, tapping on "Move HomePod to AirPort Extreme" in the Home app doesn't do anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.