Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hunterfrederick

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
In my bedroom, I have an Apple TV 4K paired with one HomePod Mini for TV audio output and it works great! I recently purchased an additional HomePod Mini to connect to my Apple TV 4K in my living room and I’m having issues.

The HomePod Mini in my living room will connect to my Apple TV 4K for maybe a few minutes when I first turn it on and then defaults back to the TV speakers. It does work for a short period of time so I know nothings broken.

Is this a known issue? Any solutions? Thanks for any help!

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
I'd check the wireless network first. Is there good reception in the living room? Are neighbours using channels that could interfere?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
AirPlay demands a strong WiFi signal, even then it will have a tendency to drop out, its quirky. What wireless access points are you using and how far is it from the living room? Are you using mesh to extent the network?

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
I live in the middle of nowhere (slight exaggeration but no nearby neighbors to interfere with signal). My Apple TV 4K v 2 is connected to my ONT via ethernet and I have a pair of OG HomePods set as default audio from the Apple TV. I have gigabit internet coming into the ONT and AFIK (as measured by SpeedTest run on a MacStudio, also connected via ethernet to the ONT) I am consistently getting 900 Mbps+ coming in.

The Apple TV and HomePods are in the same room as my Eero 6 WiFi router and the signal to the HomePods should be strong. Yet I periodically lose connection between the HomePods and the ATV. It drives me crazy. I can be in the middle of watching something on the ATV (connected via HDMI to a Sony 4K TV) and then oops... the audio drops out and I have to reboot both the ATV and the HomePods to get it back. Super annoying.

And there's another entire thread about HomePods killing WiFi speeds--a problem I have experienced myself. So I'm inclined to think the problem is the HomePods themselves.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
In the Home app, on any iDevice, make sure the speaker is in the same "room" as the ATV. That might help.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
as my Eero 6 WiFi router and the signal to the HomePods should be strong.

I would run some WiFi local network tests (not internet tests) on the Apple TV when this happens to see if there is some network problem. I think Network Speed tester has an Apple TV app. You would need to disconnect the Apple TV Ethernet cable and connect via WiFi for get test results going between your mac and the Apple TV - no internet involved.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
... Eero 6 WiFi router ..
It has nothing to do with internet. You may find when you stream directly from apple's music server to the HomePods it seems to be solid. I've read many reports of Eero 6 WIFI routers not liking airplay, hence ATV to homepod connections. Other routers work better, some routers need parameter adjustment to work reliably.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.