Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
I've been trying to restore the software on my HomePod minis to troubleshoot some HomeKit problems I have.

I have two HomePod minis.

I tried doing the restore by holding down the display on top. That wouldn't work (nothing happened). So I tried plugging into my M1 Mac. That wouldn't work either. I keep getting this error (see image below.)

Screenshot 2022-02-09 at 10.33.42 2.png

I've tried from my intel Mac. Same error. I've tried both HomePods. Same error.

I've tried connecting to the internet via wifi and via ethernet. I've tried tethering my Mac to my iPad's 4G. Same error.

Anyone else had this and found a solution? Right now it feels like it must be an issue with Apple's update server or with the HomePod software but if that's the case, then it feels like they are bricked.

mdurech

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015
Been having nothing but issues with my HomePod mini's the last weeks. You can manually download the ipsw file from ipsw.me -> iPod touch & HomePod -> HomePod mini -> audioOS 15.3 -> download. Once its done downloading, plug your HomePod mini to your Mac then hold the option key down on your keyboard and click on restore HomePod double click on the ipsw file

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Been having nothing but issues with my HomePod mini's the last weeks. You can manually download the ipsw file from ipsw.me -> iPod touch & HomePod -> HomePod mini -> audioOS 15.3 -> download. Once its done downloading, plug your HomePod mini to your Mac then hold the option key down on your keyboard and click on restore HomePod double click on the ipsw file
I spoke to apple support yesterday who escalated it to engineering. I explained that the HomePods have made my HomeKit set up less reliable not more. And if this restore (if I can ever get it to work) or a subsequent software update (soon) doesn’t fix it, I’ll be getting rid of them.

Why keep a product that makes your life worse?

mdurech

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015
Same here. I have 12 of them. 10 at home and 2 at the cabin. None of them are working with homekit.

• Sad
Reactions: robinp

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Sadly I couldn't even restore after downloading the ipsw file. Something very strange is going on.

To have 12 of them is a hefty investment in something that's not working. Have you spoken to Apple?

mdurech

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015
Interesting. Ya I have spoken with Apple, they said they have a “senior engineer” looking at it. It all happened to me around the time ios 15.3 came out not sure maybe they changed something on the server end.

If more people will report there issues to Apple the more pressure they will feel todo something.

Ya 12 of them at $130 a pop (Canadian pricing).

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
I'm trying the manual restore (with the IPSW file) again now and it seems to be working, so maybe something has been fixed. I've got a call due with apple support at 11 UK time (in 40mins) so thought I'd try that again before the call.

Edit:

Ok, so now I'm managing to narrow things down.

One of my HomePods mini will not now even mount on a Mac. The other mounted and I managed to restore. So I think I am getting somewhere with identifying a potential culprit that might be the cause of my problems.

Last edited:

firoze

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
Any updates on rising this issue? I am getting the same error message while trying to restore both my HomePod minis.

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Any updates on rising this issue? I am getting the same error message while trying to restore both my HomePod minis.
The only way I managed was to download the ipsw file and manually restore. Not sure what the fault is that’s stopping this working properly but I did communicate it to apple.

Here’s a link (please do what you need to do to be confident that the link and file is safe, but I think this is where I got mine)

Then once you’ve got the file, when you’re restoring the mini, you hold option when clicking ‘restore’. Instead of it trying to download from the server, a dialogue will open and you can choose the ipsw file.

Reactions: firoze

firoze

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
The only way I managed was to download the ipsw file and manually restore. Not sure what the fault is that’s stopping this working properly but I did communicate it to apple.

Here’s a link (please do what you need to do to be confident that the link and file is safe, but I think this is where I got mine)

Then once you’ve got the file, when you’re restoring the mini, you hold option when clicking ‘restore’. Instead of it trying to download from the server, a dialogue will open and you can choose the ipsw file.
Thanks @robinp. That does seem to be the only solution, although risky. Apple needs to fix this problem asap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.