Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Madchemic39

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
UPDATED:
Good evening.
I have some issues since I got the Homepod Minis. Can someone please help me resolve them? Any useful info would be great. Thank you.
Homepod Minis updated to OS 14.2
Issues:
Another persons voice not recognised. I have tried everything. All I got is-“I am not sure who is speaking”. Personal requests for another person do not work. What is the issue? - Resolved after hard reset and ICloud re-login.
Screen mirroring does not work from IOS devices to Apple TV HD. Why?
Airplay sometimes becomes weird and does not continue playing in another room.
Remote sometimes becomes unresponsive when watching Apple TV HD.
Apple Arcade sound in games does not work with Homepod Minis. Why?
Smart plugs disconnect from HomeKit. - Seem to work after hard reset.

Devices and updates installed and apple id’s in them
Iphone XS IOS 14.2 HomeKit owner
Ipad Pro (11 inch) Ipad OS 14.2 HomeKit Owner
Apple TV HD TVOS 14.2 HomeKit owner
Iphone X IOS 14.3 beta - latest beta installed - HomeKit guest
Ipad Pro 10.5 inch Ipad OS 14.3 beta - latest beta installed -HomeKit guest
Apple watch series 5 watch OS 7.2 beta - latest beta installed.

Stereo pair Homepod Minis connected to Apple TV HD in the Living Room.
One Homepod Mini in the bedroom.

Thank you for your help. :)

Last edited:

RByers8252

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Since I’ve got my HomePod mini in my bedroom I have had a lot of connection issues with SYLVANIA Smart+ bulbs. I have three tied together for can lights and a lamp. When I unplug the HomePod they seem to work normal but when it’s plugged in my phone and the HomePod can’t control them reliably. Sometimes Siri says she can’t connect and to make sure I’m on the same network but then the lights take the command 10-20 seconds later. Still trying to find the cause. Looks like my girlfriends phone works normally so it must be my iCloud somewhere.

Madchemic39

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
Since I’ve got my HomePod mini in my bedroom I have had a lot of connection issues with SYLVANIA Smart+ bulbs. I have three tied together for can lights and a lamp. When I unplug the HomePod they seem to work normal but when it’s plugged in my phone and the HomePod can’t control them reliably. Sometimes Siri says she can’t connect and to make sure I’m on the same network but then the lights take the command 10-20 seconds later. Still trying to find the cause. Looks like my girlfriends phone works normally so it must be my iCloud somewhere.
Hmmm. :S
Is it possible then that update 14.2 somehow messes with Homekit accessories? As smart plugs (Flysocks) sometimes does not connect to Homekit and I am having issues to connect one lamp currently. :(

Madchemic39

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
My issue is in the bedroom when playing a podcast to fall asleep too, the mini commits a bright light. My room is extremely dark so the mini lights up the ceiling and wall very well.
So almost like a display problem?

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Another persons voice not recognised. I have tried everything. All I got is-“I am not sure who is speaking”. Personal requests for another person do not work. What is the issue?

Checklist of settings on the other person's phone:
  • Settings > {name/photo} > iCloud > Siri > On
  • Settings > {name/photo} > Find My > My Location -> This Device
  • Settings > {name/photo} > Find My > My Location -> Share My Location > On
  • Settings > {name/photo} > Password & Security > Two-Factor Authentication -> On
  • Home App > Home Settings > {name/photo} > Recognize My Voice > On
  • Home App > Home Settings > {name/photo} > Personal Requests > Each HomePod > On
  • Home App > Home Settings > {name/photo} > Personal Requests > Require Authentication > Never

Madchemic39

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
Checklist of settings on the other person's phone:
  • Settings > {name/photo} > iCloud > Siri > On
  • Settings > {name/photo} > Find My > My Location -> This Device
  • Settings > {name/photo} > Find My > My Location -> Share My Location > On
  • Settings > {name/photo} > Password & Security > Two-Factor Authentication -> On
  • Home App > Home Settings > {name/photo} > Recognize My Voice > On
  • Home App > Home Settings > {name/photo} > Personal Requests > Each HomePod > On
  • Home App > Home Settings > {name/photo} > Personal Requests > Require Authentication > Never
Thank you for the reply. I have all of those settings correctly set up on other persons phone but Siri still does not recognise other person. :(

Madchemic39

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
After another evening of worthless tries of setting things up the stereo pair of Homepods started to cause problems. The Airplay saw pair, and a bedroom and a one of the living room speakers. ?‍♂️?‍♂️
When I removed the pods from Home app and unplug them, I have plugged them in again to set them up. Can’t get to the setup bit and now I am in a step to do hard reset on them and start from scratch.
If I would knew that this would be such a pain to set up...???
Anyone has any other ideas?

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
It shouldn't be this difficult and I never had that much trouble with them. Have you called Apple support?

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
It shouldn't be this difficult and I never had that much trouble with them. Have you called Apple support?
This. Always surprised how quick people are to "go nuclear" and start deleting things and resetting the Home app. It's not that unreliable. Chances are, it's more network/WiFi that is in play here, not Homekit.

OP have you considered checking your WiFi security to make sure it's not interfering with communication between nodes on the network? I don't think you can rule out the network here.

Madchemic39

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
No. Did hard reset and for now it is just me in the Home app. It seems to work. Personal requests work for me. I haven't added another person yet. Will try tonight. And posted the update. Fingers crossed it will work.

Madchemic39

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
This. Always surprised how quick people are to "go nuclear" and start deleting things and resetting the Home app. It's not that unreliable. Chances are, it's more network/WiFi that is in play here, not Homekit.

OP have you considered checking your WiFi security to make sure it's not interfering with communication between nodes on the network? I don't think you can rule out the network here.
How to I do that and where to check?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.