Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

butterwm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
I recently had a HomePod Mini stop working. It is completely dead. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and nothing in the top button with lights. Is there any other kind of resets or is it dead and needs replaced?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
The way to factory reset a HomePod is as follows:

1. Unplug and wait for 10 seconds
2. Plug it back in and wait for 10 seconds
(Should see a white animation on the display at this point)
3. Tap and hold the display. The animation will turn red. Continue holding and you should hear Siri say, “Your HomePod is about to reset. Continue holding until you hear three beeps.” ***Beep Beep Beep****
4. Release your finger from the display. Your HomePod is now ready to be re-paired.

If this doesn’t work, I’d bring it in. Might be a hardware component that’s damaged.

butterwm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
When I plug it back in I get no white animation on the display. I believe the unit is dead. Interesting because it worked fine until IOS 17 was installed. Not sure if it is related somehow.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
When I plug it back in I get no white animation on the display. I believe the unit is dead. Interesting because it worked fine until IOS 17 was installed. Not sure if it is related somehow.
Are you still within the warranty period? If so, take it in and have them replace it.

Dumb question, but just to rule out everything, have you tried another power brick and/or moving it to another electrical outlet? I had a couple Minis stop working and go dark out of the blue. It turned out it was the USB-C extension cables I got from Amazon that went bad. The Minis themselves were actually perfectly fine.

butterwm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
Are you still within the warranty period? If so, take it in and have them replace it.

Dumb question, but just to rule out everything, have you tried another power brick and/or moving it to another electrical outlet? I had a couple Minis stop working and go dark out of the blue. It turned out it was the USB-C extension cables I got from Amazon that went bad. The Minis themselves were actually perfectly fine.
So amazingly it ended up being the power brick. I’m surprised because it was plugged in behind a dresser so never gets moved or touched. I have never had one just to bad like that.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.